Dual boot issue with SATA and IDE hard drives

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Dual boot issue with SATA and IDE hard drives

Postby EKMA on Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:52 am

I'll try to keep this short, but, to the point.

I have a newer SATA 320Gb hard drive that I have XP on. I also have an older IDE 120Gb drive that I want to install LinuxMint on. Because I didn't want to take a chance and mess something up on the XP disk, I went into BIOS and changed the boot order so that the IDE is the first disk to boot. I then installed LinuxMint onto the second (IDE) hard drive (with GRUB). Rebooted and got the dreaded Error 17...did some searching and edited stuff and finally got Linux to boot. Rebooted and was able to go into Linux again (you know...gotta test to make sure it ain't a fluke). Rebooted once more to try to get into XP...no go. Showed "Starting up..." (or something like this) and just froze. Rebooted and went back into BIOS and changed the boot order back to have the SATA disk as first hard drive...went right into XP. Went back into BIOS and changed disk order back and was able to get into Linux...so, both OS"s are there and both are working...just the GRUB is not. I tried to manually edit the hard drive numbering for the XP (changed it to "root (hd1,0)", "root (hd0,0)", "root (hd0,1)", "root (hd1,1)", etc.)...no luck. I went back into BIOS and see that the IDE is listed as "IDE Channel 0 Master" and the SATA is listed as "IDE Channel 2 Master". Anyone have any suggestions on how I can get GRUB to recognize the SATA disk and boot to it?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Cliff
EKMA
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Dual boot issue with SATA and IDE hard drives

Postby Husse on Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:18 am

I only read the subject line and saw error 17 in the post
This is described and solved here
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... annot_boot
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby herman on Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:44 pm

Because I didn't want to take a chance and mess something up on the XP disk, I went into BIOS and changed the boot order so that the IDE is the first disk to boot. I then installed LinuxMint onto the second (IDE) hard drive (with GRUB). Rebooted and got the dreaded Error 17
Changing the boot order in your BIOS changes the hard disk numbering, (in most computers).
Since everything is so mixed up now, I think it would be the easiest to just set the hard disk order back the way it was originally and re-install Linux and let GRUB install where it 'naturally' wants to go.
Probably it will go to the second hard disk's MBR anyway, and if you get GRUB Error 17 again, just reverse the hard disk order in your BIOS. (After installing, not before).
Even GRUB's IPL does get installed to your first hard disc, (the one you have Windows in), GRUB won't harm your Windows installation because the MBR of a hard disk is not part of the Windows file system. By convention, no file system begins until sector number 63, and the MBR is sector number 0. Commonly, Windows boot sector is in sector 63, and that is the sector to leave alone.
You can control which hard disc GRUB will be installed to by selecting 'advanced', in step 7 of 7 during the Linux installation, and selecting it from a list, or typing something in yourself.
Otherwise, it's quite simple to re-install GRUB somewhere later on or run FIXMBR from a Windows XP recovery console.

I read your entire post and hope I'm being helpful.

Regards, Herman :)
herman
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:45 pm

I'm getting less time for answers - killing spam takes way too much time now, so I gave the solution I know works for the most
Thanks herman - you seem to know your way with hard disks and it feels good to have someone with that knowledge in the forum - Fred is another guy with lots of disk knowledge :)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby EKMA on Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:18 pm

thanks for the helpful info. I'll try the link Husse sent first (cuz I'm a determined noob and by George, I intend on figuring it out....okay...well...truth be known that I'm stubborn as an ox....lol). If I'm still stumped, I will probably go back to the way Herman has mentioned...

Again, thank you for responding so promptly.

Cliff
EKMA
Level 1
Level 1

Postby herman on Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:26 am

You have the right attitude for success with Linux, (or anything else you decide to do). Very good. :D
herman
Level 1
Level 1

Postby EKMA on Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:01 am

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....(bangs head)...still having issues...

I notice that Ubuntu uses UUID...Linux Mint does not...Therefore, because of this, I am able to get Ubuntu to dual boot with no problems... Short synopses of my "problems"; Have XP on a SATA, Linux Mint on an IDE. Linux Mint calls the IDE sdb and the SATA sda. Because of this, it won't boot until I edit the configuration and change the hd1 to hd0...then Mint will boot from GRUB but XP won't (it says "Starting up..." and then freezes). Have tried changing the boot order of the 2 different drives in BIOS, 1 way and XP will boot but Mint will not. Other way and Mint will boot but XP will not. Have also tried changing the disk that GRUB installs to...1 time to /dev/sdb and the other time to /dev/sda....still same issues. Guess my question is, can I edit menu.lst to read like Ubuntu has it where it lists the UUID and have Mint work (I do realize I'd have to sudo blkid....I also realize that if I make any changes, the system will make a change to the UUID as well and I'll need to reconfigure)? The whole sda/sdb thing is creating the issue (I believe)...which is why I believe Ubuntu is working and Mint is not. Am I missing something...meaning, am I making this harder than it really is?

Patiently awaiting for an answer (hopefully I don't end up like those accountants in the HR Block commercial who have pulled out all of their hair...lol)

Cliff
EKMA
Level 1
Level 1

Postby EKMA on Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:09 am

uh....dangit...I'm too impatient...lol...I'm gonna try changing the menu.lst. What's the worst that can happen?...maybe I run the refrigerator magnets across my hard drives while singing "what a lovely bunch of coconuts..." :lol:
Wish me luck...I'm going in.............
EKMA
Level 1
Level 1

Postby newW2 on Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:31 am

EKMA, you can use UUID. To get a list of the UUIDs enter the following in a terminal:
Code: Select all
sudo blkid

Also there is a know issue with mixing SATA and IDE. The answer you seek on this is in the wiki. Here's the link:
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... annot_boot
newW2
Level 6
Level 6

Postby EKMA on Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:31 am

woo hoo....UUID worked....able to boot both Mint and XP....Gotta tell you though, I was gettin' a little nervous...

Thanks for all of the help guys.

On top of all of this, the hair on the left side of my head should grow back in 3 to 4 weeks :lol:
EKMA
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot