Sometimes upon booting: "NO /sbin/init found"

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Sometimes upon booting: "NO /sbin/init found"

Postby mattrixx on Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:15 pm

Dual booting here with seperate HDD`s, each using it`s own native bootloader and selected by Asus Motherboard drive select option.
I have been using my Asus MB provided "boot select" function with Linux/Windows with NO problem for years with Mint 3.1 Celena, Cassandra, and
Bianca. Recently with Felicia (6.0) there now is less than a 50/50 chance that when selecting my Linux HDD, I will recieve an aborted attempt at successful bootup.
I will either bootup OK to desktop, OR (ever more increasingly) I will recieve a failure to boot, with a message eventually stating No /sbin/init found!

After first installing Mint 6.0, I had NOT this increasing problem of failure to complete booting to Mint desktop!
I never have any problem booting up, after selecting my Windows HDD.
As it stands now, I always get to the Mint "splash screen", and know at the sliding "back and forth" green indicator, whether I will have a successfull boot or not.
If it "catches" right away I will have a successful boot. If it doesnt "catch" but bounces back and forth, I will not!

Even though I have been using Mint for "years", I dont have sufficient Linux knowledge or proficiency to solve this problem.
Would someone here on this forum be kind enough to point me in the right direction?
mattrixx
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Sometimes upon booting: "NO /sbin/init found"

Postby altair4 on Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:39 pm

Although the mechanism is different ( second drive inserted into a laptop media bay ) the concept and the problem looks a lot like this post: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=21675&p=127262&hilit=No+%2Fsbin%2Finit+found#p127262

It might get you farther along.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Sometimes upon booting: "NO /sbin/init found"

Postby mattrixx on Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:12 pm

Thanks altair4 for your response and link to finally resolve my consistent Mint bootup problem.
I changed my GRUB boot line from the conventional sda/sdb etc. designation
to the UUID designation and all is well!
I wonder if this mix of IDE/SATA and problem with GRUB will be addressed with MINT7?

Matt :D
mattrixx
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Installation & Boot