Sometimes upon booting: "NO /sbin/init found"

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mattrixx
Level 3
Level 3

Sometimes upon booting: "NO /sbin/init found"

Post by mattrixx »

Dual booting here with seperate HDD`s, each using it`s own native bootloader and selected by Asus Motherboard drive select option.
I have been using my Asus MB provided "boot select" function with Linux/Windows with NO problem for years with Mint 3.1 Celena, Cassandra, and
Bianca. Recently with Felicia (6.0) there now is less than a 50/50 chance that when selecting my Linux HDD, I will recieve an aborted attempt at successful bootup.
I will either bootup OK to desktop, OR (ever more increasingly) I will recieve a failure to boot, with a message eventually stating No /sbin/init found!

After first installing Mint 6.0, I had NOT this increasing problem of failure to complete booting to Mint desktop!
I never have any problem booting up, after selecting my Windows HDD.
As it stands now, I always get to the Mint "splash screen", and know at the sliding "back and forth" green indicator, whether I will have a successfull boot or not.
If it "catches" right away I will have a successful boot. If it doesnt "catch" but bounces back and forth, I will not!

Even though I have been using Mint for "years", I dont have sufficient Linux knowledge or proficiency to solve this problem.
Would someone here on this forum be kind enough to point me in the right direction?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Sometimes upon booting: "NO /sbin/init found"

Post by altair4 »

Although the mechanism is different ( second drive inserted into a laptop media bay ) the concept and the problem looks a lot like this post: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... nd#p127262

It might get you farther along.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
mattrixx
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Sometimes upon booting: "NO /sbin/init found"

Post by mattrixx »

Thanks altair4 for your response and link to finally resolve my consistent Mint bootup problem.
I changed my GRUB boot line from the conventional sda/sdb etc. designation
to the UUID designation and all is well!
I wonder if this mix of IDE/SATA and problem with GRUB will be addressed with MINT7?

Matt :D

Return to “Installation & Boot”