Question about uninstallation

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Question about uninstallation

Postby strophe on Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:50 pm

Basically: how?

I purchased a used system with Linux Mint installed on it. I've never used Linux before at all (been meaning to for years :), but I dinked around with this quite a bit, learning my way, etc. It's really smooth and I love it -- but I purchased this system for my girlfriend, who doesn't want to use Linux. How do I uninstall / delete / departition Linux from the harddrive? I've tried several tutorials online, had a friend take a look.. done all sorts of things that are no doubt WRONG, but I can't get it to go anywhere.

Please bear in mind that I am a complete Linux beginner, so something even as simple as going to "Root" is beyond me at the moment. Is there a forum or walkthrough that'll allow me to fairly simple wipe this operating system from this harddrive? I plan on re-installing it on one of my personal machines, just to get more used to Linux in general, but for the time being, I'd appreciate assistance in taking it off.

*I do have a Windows XP install disc, which my girl would like to have on there
*I also have the Linux Mint OS disc

Thanks,
Jason
strophe
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Question about uninstallation

Postby DataMan on Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:17 am

I've been away from active Windows use so long that I'm not 100% on this but, since you do have the Windows Install CD, why not just boot to it and install using the whole hard drive? That should take care of over-writing the Linux partition(s) and also write a new MBR (Master Boot Record).

If that doesn't do the trick, you may have to go in a wipe out all of the partitions before re-installing Windows. Post back if you need to go that route.

Good Luck,

DataMan
Linux'd since 2005 Linux ID 422356 Ubuntu ID 15015
DataMan
Level 6
Level 6

Postby viking777 on Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:05 am

DataMan is completely correct. You wanted a tutorial on removing it well here it is:

1) Put Windows disc into cd tray.
2) Reboot computer.
3) Answer a thousand questions, sign away all your consumer rights and agree to Microsoft patented spyware being installed, and after about half an hour the job is done!

Simple enough for you :lol: :lol:
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Postby FedoraRefugee on Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:52 am

Sometimes, when the entire drive is formatted with a file system that MS cannot see this happens. You need to get rid of the Linux partition first. The best tool for that is gparted live.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=271779

(iso DL page, you can Google Gparted for more info)

Just DL, burn to a CD (as an iso image!) then run. It is self explanatory, just delete everything and take everything back to free space. You could create an NTFS partition here, but why bother?

Sometimes, for some reason which no one has ever been able to figure out, even this will not work. I have had gurus say that it is impossible but I have seen many cases where even a reformatted drive will still not boot the windows install disc for some reason. The best I can come up with is something in the MBR is stopping it. There is one fail-safe solution to all your problems here:

http://www.dban.org/

Run the least number of passes, it takes forever and you are not concerned with wiping national secrets. This will overwrite the entire drive. Windows will then see the drive and install with no further problems. Overkill? Yeah. But sometimes it is the only thing that works.
FedoraRefugee
Level 6
Level 6

Postby viking777 on Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:41 pm

I have never heard of that FedoraRefugee, but if that is the case I apologise to strophe if my earlier post sounded a bit flippant, it certainly was meant to be humorous, but nothing more.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Postby strophe on Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:37 pm

Eventually got it up and working. I'd messed around with partedmagic and supergrub programs before finding these forums, but couldn't make either of them do their advertised purpose. Eventually I ended up entering some command in root whose purpose was to erase the MBR, at which point the XP disc WAS recognized upon startup... blah blah, now it's all okay.

All sorted and functional now -- thanks for your assistance! =)

Jason
strophe
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot