File partitioning scheme to install linux mint

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

File partitioning scheme to install linux mint

Postby lamdacore on Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:17 am

Hi Everyone,

I just have a question regarding the installation of linux mint on my workstation. Just as a brief history, I already have Elyssa installed and it is working beautifully. However, I often get problems on my workstation when playing movies (the screen just goes blank) and then I have to manually power off the machine and then reboot. This causes the fsck to come in for the rescue. Now, my file system got messed up once and it managed to recover from a live cd. The smart thing i did was that I placed /home and / on separate partitions. So, I wasnt afraid if my Elyssa spiralled all the way down. Yet, I then remembered that I had tweaked my workstation with different themes and other great stuff which I really love. I believe that this is not saved in my /home partition but rather under /etc and other places. I want to keep all of that stuff in tact.

Basically, I am asking how can save my stuff all of it i.e. ranging from personal files to OS tweakings in such a way that when I do reinstall linux mint I would not encounter any problems. I have heard of people distributing their file system across many partitions like /boot, /home, /etc, /.

Please advise.

lamda
lamdacore
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: File partitioning scheme to install linux mint

Postby viking777 on Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:08 am

This isn't advice, it is just opinion. That is the thing about the question you ask, it is a matter of personal choice and everyone has their own view on it. FWIW my opinion is this, having seperate partitions for /boot /etc /opt et al is an unnecessary complication with very few positive benefits. The only time it might be of any use is when you reinstall exactly the same distro. It will not be any use if you want to upgrade at some stage. Look at it like this - I am sure you must have used Windows at some time - would you install Windows XP and then copy in the registry files from Win 98? I don't think so, but that is basically what this does in an upgrade situation. The most you want is a sepreate /home and I think that the current advice is even less than that ie to just have a seperate /data partition somewhere, though I don't have either. I did on one occasion and the chaos that ensued when I reinstalled was so severe it took me longer to sort out than if I had installed from fresh and configured everything again.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Return to Installation & Boot