gRUB MENU IN fELICIA [ Solved]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dnmint

gRUB MENU IN fELICIA [ Solved]

Post by dnmint »

I find that during grub menu, I see two sets of Felicia
Ver 2.6.27.11 & 2.6.27.7 apart from of course recovery mode, WQin XP etc.
Why two versions?
Do I need both?
Can I uninstall one of them?
Pls advise
Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
garda

Re: gRUB MENU IN fELICIA

Post by garda »

I am speculating that you are using the 32-bit variant of Felicia Main Edition, which comes with kernel 2.6.27-7-generic by default, and that you have accidentally applied updates beyond level 3.

If you really are running Felicia Main 32-bit, then you may remove one of them. I suggest you remove 2.6.27-11 unless you have a reason to use it instead of the default one (2.6.27-7).
dnmint

Post by dnmint »

garda wrote:I am speculating that you are using the 32-bit variant of Felicia Main Edition, which comes with kernel 2.6.27-7-generic by default, and that you have accidentally applied updates beyond level 3.

If you really are running Felicia Main 32-bit, then you may remove one of them. I suggest you remove 2.6.27-11 unless you have a reason to use it instead of the default one (2.6.27-7).
Thanks. I only downloaded Open Office3.0 thru Intrepid.
How do I remove 2.6.27-11?
Pls advice.
Thanks
garda

Post by garda »

Post here the output of this command:

Code: Select all

dpkg -l linux-* | grep ^i
So I can give you a good advice.
dnmint

Post by dnmint »

garda wrote:Post here the output of this command:

dpkg -l linux-* | grep ^i
So I can give you a good advice.
Thanks. I give below the output.

ii linux-firmware 1.2 Firmware for Linux kernel drivers
ii linux-generic 2.6.27.11.14 Complete Generic Linux kernel
ii linux-headers-2.6.27-11 2.6.27-11.27 Header files related to Linux kernel version
ii linux-headers-2.6.27-11-generic 2.6.27-11.27 Linux kernel headers for version 2.6.27 on x
ii linux-headers-2.6.27-7 2.6.27-7.16 Header files related to Linux kernel version
ii linux-headers-2.6.27-7-generic 2.6.27-7.16 Linux kernel headers for version 2.6.27 on x
ii linux-headers-generic 2.6.27.11.14 Generic Linux kernel headers
ii linux-image-2.6.27-11-generic 2.6.27-11.27 Linux kernel image for version 2.6.27 on x86
ii linux-image-2.6.27-7-generic 2.6.27-7.16 Linux kernel image for version 2.6.27 on x86
ii linux-image-generic 2.6.27.11.14 Generic Linux kernel image
ii linux-libc-dev 2.6.27-11.27 Linux Kernel Headers for development
ii linux-restricted-modules-2.6.27-11-generic 2.6.27-11.16 Non-free Linux kernel modules for version 2.
ii linux-restricted-modules-2.6.27-7-generic 2.6.27-7.12 Non-free Linux kernel modules for version 2.
ii linux-restricted-modules-common 2.6.27-11.16 Non-free Linux 2.6.27 modules helper script
ii linux-restricted-modules-generic 2.6.27.11.14 Restricted Linux modules for generic kernels
ii linux-sound-base 1.0.17.dfsg-2ubuntu1 base package for ALSA and OSS sound systems

This happened after I downloaded Open Office 3.0 from Package manager by following advice on Istalling Open Office 3.0 in Felicia post as follows:
just add the line to your /etc/apt/sources.list.

gksu gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

Then copy and paste in,Code: Select all
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/openoffice-pkgs/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main

Then you can update to OpenOffice 3 using Synaptic.

Thanks in advance.
garda

Post by garda »

Here is a list of packages that may be safely removed:

linux-headers-2.6.27-11
linux-headers-2.6.27-11-generic
linux-image-2.6.27-11-generic
linux-restricted-modules-2.6.27-11-generic

The rest (if any) will be uninstalled along the way. If unsure, you may ask here again -- therefore it is recommended that you uninstall the packages from the command-line so that you will be able to copy and paste questions, prompts or outputs easily.

And, you must boot into 2.6.27-7-generic if you are to wipe out the other one.
dnmint

Post by dnmint »

garda wrote:Here is a list of packages that may be safely removed:

linux-headers-2.6.27-11
linux-headers-2.6.27-11-generic
linux-image-2.6.27-11-generic
linux-restricted-modules-2.6.27-11-generic

The rest (if any) will be uninstalled along the way. If unsure, you may ask here again -- therefore it is recommended that you uninstall the packages from the command-line so that you will be able to copy and paste questions, prompts or outputs easily.

And, you must boot into 2.6.27-7-generic if you are to wipe out the other one.
Thanks for the quick response.
I can rmove them - by Mark for uninstallation in Synaptic.
How to do it in Terminal thru Command lnes ?
Kindly bear with me & advice.
I am booting into 2.6.27-7 generic only now.
garda

Post by garda »

Use this command:

sudo apt-get --purge remove package1 package2 package3 and so forth
Another thing I forgot to mention is you might want to backup your files prior to attempting this.

I have never experienced any adverse effects after installing or uninstalling kernels but there is always first time for everything, I suppose.
Fred

Post by Fred »

dnmint wrote:
Then you can update to OpenOffice 3 using Synaptic.
You just have to remember that there are a lot of other things in that repo besides the particular package you may be looking for. As far a kernels go, replacing a kernel is a pretty big move. Make sure you have a good reason for doing so. Don't let the kernel up grade just because there is a later version available. That is never a good reason for replacing a kernel.

Fred
dnmint

Post by dnmint »

garda wrote:Use this command:

sudo apt-get --purge remove package1 package2 package3 and so forth
Another thing I forgot to mention is you might want to backup your files prior to attempting this.

I have never experienced any adverse effects after installing or uninstalling kernels but there is always first time for everything, I suppose.
Thanks ...
That did it. Nothing adverse.
Thanks again

Return to “Installation & Boot”