Felicia fails on VMWare after update to kernel 2.6.27-11

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Felicia fails on VMWare after update to kernel 2.6.27-11

Postby vsajip on Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:27 pm

I installed Felicia from a LiveCD in a VM under VMWare Server 2.0. After installation, it booted as expected and appeared to work normally. However, following the first update (in which the kernel got updated), Felicia no longer boots. The error is:

VFS: Cannot open root device "sda1" or unknown-block(0,0)
Please append a correct "root=" boot option: here are the available partitions:
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

It's a 512MB VM with an 8GB virtual SCSI disk (default as created on VMWare Server 2.0, VM Version = 7).

I re-did the installation from the LiveCD again, and again got the same problem. Note that after the update, I get options to boot kernel 2.6.27-11-generic (normal or recovery mode), or kernel 2.6.27-7-generic (normal or recovery mode). For both normal-mode options, the "boot options" line is

root=/dev/sda1 ro quiet splash

If I select the 2.6.27.7 kernel, it boots correctly and appears to work normally. However, 2.6.27.11 fails in both normal and recovery modes with the same kernel panic. So, it would appear to be a 2.6.27-11 related problem.

Anyone else seeing this?

Regards,

Vinay Sajip
vsajip
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Felicia fails on VMWare after update to kernel 2.6.27-11

Postby Fred on Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:58 pm

vsajip,

My first question would be, "why are you updating the kernel?"

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby vsajip on Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:04 pm

Hi Fred,

I just did a "sudo apt-get update" followed by a "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade". I normally do this to avail of updates to the system of any packages I have installed. Did I do something wrong? I've been doing this on Ubuntu for ages, and also with earlier Mint releases - without problems. I didn't fiddle with the repositories. Is there a different way of getting updates on Mint?

Regards,

Vinay
vsajip
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:22 pm

vsajip,
Did I do something wrong?

No, not wrong, just quite risky. Look at my post in the thread below. In addition, you should keep in mind that replacing a kernel is potentially a show stopper in many areas. The decision to replace a kernel should be because it has the ability to fix some issue you have or you need some feature that it has. Replacing a kernel just because a later minor revision is available is not a good reason to risk the breakage that can/may occur.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9146&p=134170&hilit=Fred+dist+upgrade#p134170

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby topherfangio on Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:55 pm

Hello Vinay/Fred,

I am new to Mint but not to Linux in general. I just installed Mint and attempted the upgrade solution described above (obviously before I read this post) and found myself with the same outcome. I tried reinstalling the VirtualBox "Guest Additions" since I know that it provides some kernel modules and I was afraid this might be causing problems, but alas, it did not solve the issue.

I'm fairly happy not upgrading the kernel very often (especially if I run this on my main machine which requires a recompiled kernel for nVidia drivers); however, can you please tell me the "suggested" way to upgrade Mint and if there are plans in the works for an upgrade path?

Mint seems like a great choice for an OS, but kernel panics every time I actually NEED to update the kernel would really be kind of a pain.

Thanks for your comments/suggestions :-)

Topher
topherfangio
Level 1
Level 1

Postby vsajip on Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:20 pm

Fred wrote:No, not wrong, just quite risky. Look at my post in the thread below. In addition, you should keep in mind that replacing a kernel is potentially a show stopper in many areas. The decision to replace a kernel should be because it has the ability to fix some issue you have or you need some feature that it has. Replacing a kernel just because a later minor revision is available is not a good reason to risk the breakage that can/may occur.

Thanks for the link to that thread - I understand better now. I've been spoilt by Ubuntu - dist-upgrade has rarely failed. But I've learned my lesson now, on Mint it's "upgrade" rather than "dist-upgrade" from now on!

Thanks & regards,

Vinay Sajip
vsajip
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ggeller on Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:27 pm

I have exactly the same problem.

My work-around is to comment out the sections for the new kernel in /boot/grub/menu.lst and just use the older kernel.

Eventually, I expect a newer kernel package to be released that works.

George
ggeller
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot