Not able to use CD on clean drive...

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Not able to use CD on clean drive...

Postby Ralphie 001 on Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:14 am

First, the CD would not boot to a new drive partitioned and formatted with sys files on it.. After trying to get help from a forum that would not register me for four days, I made a CD of Ubuntu which when booted to took right off and I now have well running computer.. So thank you for all your help..
Ralphie 001
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Not able to use CD on clean drive...

Postby Husse on Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:18 pm

Your point is?
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby kansasnoob on Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:48 pm

Husse wrote:Your point is?

Good question. If a live CD won't boot generally it's the CD ..... or the drive.

I've never found a situation where Ubuntu would run and Mint won't! Never!

Well, I haven't tried the Flux flavor of Mint yet!
kansasnoob
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Ralphie 001 on Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:11 am

My point is... I burned Linux Mint 6 three times using two different programs at slow speed(8x) and would not boot onto clean drive.. Ubuntu, I burned once using the same program at slow speed(8x)and it booted up and loaded fine. What is the problem with Linux Mint 6? Adding insult to injury, trying to register to this newsgroup took four days.!.!.! How much help are you going to get waiting four days. It seems as though more work needs to be done with Mint 6 or maybe, nobody is paying attention to someone new trying to come into the community...
Ralphie 001
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:04 am

Ralphie 001,

First, you could use a bit of a reality check. You come in here all indignant and puffed up, like you just purchased a product and it was defective, demanding a refund. Well, nobody in here sold you anything, promised you anything, or owes you anything. Everyone here is a user/helper, is here for the sole purpose of learning and helping others learn, and is not monetarily compensated. We are all volunteers. If you want to vent on somebody go back to where you purchased your copy of Mint, demand a refund, and give them a piece of your mind. Nobody here is interested.

For whatever it is worth, Mint has been growing by leaps and bounds. We are just finishing putting additional server capacity on line. Your registration, along with many others, was delayed as this transition was made. It was unfortunate but it is what it is. Live with it.

Literally thousands of people have downloaded and burned the various Mint flavors and installed them without incident. Might it be possible that you aren't quite as knowledgeable as you think you are? That you may have made an error, or just plain didn't know what you were doing?

I believe if it were me I would have come in here, hat in hand, asking what I might have done wrong and hoping someone would bother to take the time and interest to help me.

Well... I have probably said more than enough, though I could go on and get down right impolite, but I will restrain myself. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby tinca on Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:12 am

Fred,

succinctly put.

Best regards Keith
Case Corsair Graphite 600T White | Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK | CPU Core i7 4790K | PSU Corsair 1000w RM Fully Modular | Graphic Card Radeon R7 250 | Cooler Corsair H100i Extreme | Ram Corsair 2 x 8 gb Vengeance Pro |
tinca
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Husse on Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:05 am

It is as simple as
Find the "Contact us" page
There you find my mail
Ask for help to be registered and shortly after you would have been registered
But not what Fred wrote - no one is paid so we have to work plus the possible difference in time zones can make it take some time, but no more than about half a day
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Ralphie 001 on Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:13 pm

I'm sorry that you feel I'm all puffed up and indignant but that is not the case. I also do not want a refund.. One thing I have noticed is that most people seem to be adding Linux as a second OS. Maybe there is something not taken into consideration as to installing onto a clean drive without any Microsuck OS.. I consider myself a novice compared to many other computer users and I most humbly apologize if what I said hurt your feelings..
Ralphie 001
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot