Reinstallation Options

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Reinstallation Options

Postby wbee on Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:35 pm

Hello,

I have Linux Mint and Windows XP Media Edition on the same hard drive. They are independent;the Linux Mint does not show on the "add/remove programs" function in XP. The rationale behind doing it that was to have the XP to use until I'm up to speed with Mint. Please understand that when I get to a minimum competency with Mint,that I'll simply reinstall it for the entire hard drive. *But I'm not there yet.

Anyhow,in the process of using the shell,not knowing what I was doing I used a shortcut that got me into the Emacs area. I moved something that should have been a directory to something else,at the very least. Or more probably,killed it. I got a "fatal" notice,so I quit and rebooted. Sure enough,when I went into a modprobe and ls -l'd it,it was gone and I can't get the modules to update or reinstall.

Since I'm a rookie at this, is there a way I can start over with a clean sheet? I have lots more tutorial practice to do before I know what I'm doing.

That is,can I somehow overwrite the Linux Mint portion of my hard drive,to get a fresh install,without messing up the XP portion of the hard drive?

Or must I reinstall the XP,and then add the Linux MInt,which will take hours and hours,because of all the files I must save from both applications?

-----------------

Thank you
wbee
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Reinstallation Options

Postby distoaddict on Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:37 pm

depends on whether you used mint4win or installed on a separate partition.can you boot into xp?
distoaddict
Level 4
Level 4

Postby wbee on Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:50 pm

distoaddict,

It is a separate installation. Part of the hard drive is XP. Another part is Mint. The Mint is NOT installed within the XP framework.

Yes,I can boot into XP. May I infer that I would put mint for win into the XP system. Is that my only option?

I downloaded the cd from a torrent----which did NOT contain mintforwin. Does the mirror download include mintforwin?
wbee
Level 1
Level 1

Postby distoaddict on Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:07 pm

no.you will be ok to reinstall without touching your windows partition i'm sure.what confused me (which doesn't take much) was your mention of add/remove programs.sorry.mint4win is on felicia but not on previous versions ie elyssa. still it would be a good idea to back up your stuff.
distoaddict
Level 4
Level 4

Postby wbee on Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:12 pm

*****************edit.......can I get in by changing the bios to boot from the disk drive?

I put in the cd and booted Windows XP. It did nothing. I ejected the cd and reinserted it. A screen came up giving me the options of installing it with a partition,installing it within Windows,or a help is if would not load.

I selected the install with a partition,rebooted,and returned to Windows. Again,it would not read the cd until I ejected it and reinserted it. Then I go the same screen as above.

I selected the install with a partition,rebooted,and went to Linux Mint. It brought up the disk as a desk tray icon,which I opened. It asked me to open auto run. I did so,it said it could not find auto run.

So I rebooted and went back to Windows. I selected the third option which told me it would help with most problems if I could not boot from a cd.

The same thing happened again. What do I do now to over write the Linux Mint,install a new Mint over where the old was,retain the petitions,and retain the Windows OP?

-------------

Thanks again.
wbee
Level 1
Level 1

Postby distoaddict on Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:11 am

could you run from the live cd gparted partition editor and post a screenshot of your hdd layout
distoaddict
Level 4
Level 4

Postby wbee on Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:23 am

Hello again,

Sadly,no.

It will deploy neither the live cd nor the auto installer.

Do I assume correctly that if I get to that point,I can simply overwrite the Mint portion and leave the Windows portion alone?
wbee
Level 1
Level 1

Postby distoaddict on Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:09 pm

if it looks like this --yes
distoaddict
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Aging Technogeek on Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:48 pm

wbee:

When you put the live CD in and tried to boot from it did you reset the bios boot order to boot from CD first? I sounds like you are booting from the hard disk into XP and being presented with different options to install via Mint4win.

When you boot from the live CD, the Mint desktop should come up. From there you can start the Mint installer.

Registered Linux User 483387
Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Postby dlkreations on Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:14 pm

Is this a desktop or laptop? Also, is this system a home built or something along the lines of Dell, HP, etc.?

Sometimes, depending on the system you could hit F10 or F12 during POST to give you a boot menu where you can choose to boot from the CD/DVD drive or from hard disk, USB etc.

If nothing else, hit the Delete key during POST to go into your BIOS and choose your first boot option, and change to CD/DVD.

It's obvious that you got it on there before. Why are you having trouble booting from the CD now? Unless you had someone else do this for you.
It's perfectly OK to express an opinion, but refrain from foul and stupid language
- Husse
dlkreations
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot