Can't boot; Error 17 -- can any-one help please.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hantsmike

Can't boot; Error 17 -- can any-one help please.

Post by hantsmike »

Hello

I'm a Windows refugee to Mint . I have dual boot machine which was running perfectly but had aquired an unwanted partition which I tried to delete using partition editor. This went wrong and when I now turn on the computer to run GRUB all I get is Error 17 and the boot process stops prior to running GRUB. I can get into the bios and I've changed to load from CD but it will not work I've tried various Linux and windows rescue and boot CD / DVD disks ( I have another working computer) and the only thing that works is BG-Rescue Linux. (http://www.giannone.eu/rescue/current/ ) which loads from two floppys (after I told the BIOS to run from floppy) . BGR then boots from RAM and takes me to the command line

rescue:/#

The problem is that I have little idea of what to do next . I think I should try and get it to boot and then reinstall from my Linux Mint DVD but do not know what the correct command is. [b]Can any-one guide me as to how I reload what ever it is I need to reload?[/b][b][/b]

.Unfortunately I do not have any command line experience. I would prefer to keep my windows partition (c drive) because it such a pain to reload and I need it for work related software. There is no data I need to preserve on the machine and obviously reloading linux is easy. The rescue floppys that work contain also the following tools

LINUX-Kernel  2.4.36.2
with lzma support
with inittar support
with cloop 2.01 support
with fuse 2.5.3 support
with NTFS 2.1.6b support
with DVDRW Patch
with SC92031 Ethernet Adapter Patch
with the PocketBoy Patch

uClibc  0.9.29
BusyBox  1.9.2

with losetup-2.4 patch
/++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++\
|[, [[, adjtimex, ar, ash, awk, basename, bunzip2, bzcat, bzip2, cal, cat,|
|chgrp, chmod, chown, chroot, chvt, clear, cmp, cp, cpio, cttyhack, cut, date,|
|dd, deallocvt, devfsd, df, dirname, dmesg, dos2unix, dpkg, dpkg-deb, du,|
|dumpkmap, echo, egrep, env, expr, false, fdflush, fdformat, fdisk, fgrep, find,|
|fold, free, freeramdisk, fsck.minix, ftpget, ftpput, getopt, grep, gunzip,|
|gzip, halt, hd, hdparm, head, hexdump, hostname, hwclock, id, ifconfig, init,|
|insmod, install, kbd_mode, kill, killall, klogd, length, less, ln, loadfont,|
|loadkmap, logger, logname, losetup, ls, lsmod, lzmacat, makedevs, md5sum, mesg,|
|mkdir, mkfifo, mkfs.minix, mknod, mkswap, mktemp, modprobe, more, mount, mv,|
|nameif, nc, netstat, nslookup, od, openvt, pidof, ping, pipe_progress,|
|pivot_root, poweroff, printf, ps, pwd, rdate, readlink, realpath, reboot,|
|renice, reset, rm, rmdir, rmmod, route, rpm, rpm2cpio, sed, setkeycodes, sh,|
|sha1sum, sleep, sort, split, stty, swapoff, swapon, switch_root, sync, sysctl,|
|syslogd, tail, tar, tee, telnet, test, tftp, time, top, touch, tr, traceroute,|
|true, tty, udhcpc, umount, uname, uncompress, uniq, unix2dos, unlzma, unzip,|
|uptime, usleep, uudecode, uuencode, vconfig, vi, watch, wc, wget, which, xargs,|
|yes, zcat |
\********************************************************************************/

Filesystem-Tools:
cramfs  1.1
dosfstools  2.11
e2fsprogs  1.40.7
ntfsprogs  2.0.0
ntfs-3g  1.2310
progsreiserfs  0.3.0.5
reiserfsck  3.6.20
umsdos-utils  1.32

Disk-Tools:
cloop  2.05
dd_rescue  1.14
gpart  0.1h    (with support for ReiserFS 3.6)
lilo  22.8
mdadm  2.6.4
ms-sys  2.1.3
syslinux  3.60
tphdisk
fdisk and hdparm are integrated in BusyBox

Compression-Utilities:
cabextract  0.6
rzip  2.1
zip  2.32
ar, bzip2, cpio, dpkg, dpkg-deb, gzip, rpm, rpm2cpio, tar, uncompress, unlzma and unzip are integrated in BusyBox

cmdftp  0.7.6
linld  0.97
loadlin  1.6c
pcmcia-cardmgr  3.2.8
regutils  0.10
smbclient  1.9.18p8    (with pipe support)

Supported Filesystems: cramfs, devfs, ext2, ext3, iso9660, minix, msdos, ntfs 2.1.6b, ntfs-3g (rw), proc, ramfs, reiserfs, tmpfs, udf, umsdos, vfat, xfs
Network filesystem: nfs

Many thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
distoaddict

Re: Can't boot; Error 17 -- can any-one help please.

Post by distoaddict »

i think it would be a good idea to download the floppy version of supergrub disk if you have not already try it.as it appears you cannot use the cd version.it should be able to boot.
http://www.supergrubdisk.org/
hantsmike

Re: Can't boot; Error 17 -- can any-one help please.

Post by hantsmike »

Many thanks , worked a treat . Everything fine now. Turned out the CD drive had broken at the same time.

thanks again,

Mike

Return to “Installation & Boot”