Resolved Mint XP Dual Boot...plus distro intall on USB thumb

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Resolved Mint XP Dual Boot...plus distro intall on USB thumb

Postby prostaff58 on Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:18 pm

I apologize if this query has come up previously. Feel free to direct me to those threads if appropriate. I have XP and Mint on my tower, dual booting using Grub, everything works nice.

I would like to install another distro onto a USB thumbdrive (CrunchBang, which has an install function as part of the Live CD.

My question is, when installing the new distro to the USB thumbdrive all goes well and I instruct it to put Grub on the thumbdrive (so as not to interfere with the Grub setup on my internal hard drive).

When I reboot the USB drive isn't included in the boot options under Grub.

What do I need to do? Should I tell the new distro to install Grub on top of the Grub install that is already in place with my XP Mint setup?

It's confusing and rather than experiment and corrupt my current HD setup, I thought I would ask for expert input.

Thanks very much!
Last edited by prostaff58 on Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prostaff58
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Resolved Re: Mint XP Dual Boot...plus distro intall on USB t

Postby prostaff58 on Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:01 pm

For anyone with an interest, the solution was to change the BIOS settings to enable the USB thumbdrive to be first in line to boot from...which means Grub is on the thumbdrive as well as on the internal HD. Once the BIOS is set to that order, the thumbdrive distro (in this case CrunchBang) boots and runs as desired (and I also have the option of booting into XP or Mint from the Grub install on the thumbdrive).

At shutdown, once I remove the thumbdrive and reboot the PC, the HDD install of Grub works as it should and I get the option of booting into XP or Mint.

Always install Grub onto the USB drive that you install the distro to.
prostaff58
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot