SOLVED Faulty mbd -cant install mint 6. please help.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

SOLVED Faulty mbd -cant install mint 6. please help.

Postby robma65 on Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:47 pm

Hi all. Im pretty much a total newbie to linux, have done a very small bit on bsd and have been having some issues installing mint 6. I had issues on the initial boot but after downloading twice, burning the iso cd 3 times, taking out my video card and making a couple of changes to the bios i eventually got to the desktop. Now when i try to install from the desktop i get "failed to execute child process "ubiquity" (input/output error)". I have rebooted a few times but keep getting the same error. Please help. I have xp installed but also have a second hdd installed which is blank, i want to use this one for mint and keep the other just for xp until i get used to linux. My system has 1g ram, p4 3ghz, had a nvidea card in which i took out (now using onboard gfx), and sound blaster xfi. not sure of the motherboard (its advent). Can someone please help, i dont want my linux experience to end before it starts.
B.t.w. i also tried pclinuxos and fedora. neither would boot.
Thanks,
Rob

Im using gnome desktop if that helps
Last edited by robma65 on Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robma65
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: cant install mint 6. please help.

Postby rivenought on Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:23 pm

I am going to think out loud for a minute.

Have you tried "compatibility mode?" Did you check the MD5 and burn at the lowest possible speed? Have you tried physically unhooking your XP drive and leaving the blank drive for the Mint install? Do you have the CD-ROM drive on a separate cable from the hard drive? Have you used the partition editor to set up your partitions, especially a /swap, on the target drive before running the installer?

Those are the first few thoughts that ran through my head. I am sure you will get more suggestions soon enough. You may want to gather your standard hardware specifications just in case. (lspci, etc.) Good luck.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Postby robma65 on Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:52 pm

hi rivenought,
thanks for the help.
Did all you said except i burned at x16 cos i was told this would be best. Compatibility mode only gets me to a prompt mint@mint and if i press ctrl+alt+f7 all i have is a black screen with a blinking cursor top left. I havent done any partitioning cos i thought this was done during the install, no option at boot. Do i do this in xp or at the prompt? I have 2 hdds on the first cable so the cd drive is on the second one, should i change it? im now getting an error "the panel encountered a problem while loading OAFID:GNOME_mintMenu do you want to delete the applet?". not lookin good
robma65
Level 1
Level 1

Postby altair4 on Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:02 am

I admit this is a long shot but try this:

Find the "Install" icon on the desktop after the LiveCD boots.
Right click > Properties > what you'll see is something like this:

ubiquity --desktop %k .... ( I'm doing this from memory, sorry )
Add the following in front of whatever is there: gksu so it will read
gksu ubiquity --desktop %k ....
Save it and then use the icon to install.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 16
Level 16

Postby robma65 on Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:21 pm

Tried putting gksu at the start of the command- got rid of the error message but still doesnt launch installer. Any other thoughts?
robma65
Level 1
Level 1

turned out to be a faulty motherboard

Postby robma65 on Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:05 pm

just to let you know. i think it was a problem with my mbd. i replaced it and the processor for a pentium dual core and it installed no problem. thanks for the help.
robma65
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Pavol on Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:42 am

Hi
it is probably other problem, but I can't install Felicia too. Installation process reach 94% (Configuring hardware), but then window with progress bar disappear and ... nothing happens. I have tried burn another image, but it's the same (md5 is o.k.). Live CD works fine.
My hardware: Intel DG31PR motherboard, 2 GB RAM, NVidia 9500 GT, Creative Soundblaster, ST Lab ethernet card (works with Linux 2.4x)

P.S. Sorry for my English, I'm Slovak
Pavol
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rivenought on Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:43 am

Pavol, your English is much better than some native speakers I know, so that is not a problem. :wink:

The MD5 can read as good, but sometimes the burn may not. I have found it a good practice to burn at the lowest possible speed. Though, even with all the tricks, sometimes there are issues that happen.

If your hardware specifications are 64-bit, you may wish to consider installing that version. With Mint 6, there are some changes that my hardware did not like. I never had these problems with Mint 3, 4, or 5. I had bad luck with the 32-bit version of Mint 6. To even run the Live CD, I had to use "compatibility mode." However, the 64-bit version of Mint 6 installed without any problems, and it is running flawlessly right now.

With you getting as far as you have, you at least have narrowed down the "hardware detection" as the area where the whole installation quits. Sometimes the Ubiquity installer must be run a couple of times before it follows through to the finish. It boils down to my thoughts of you trying the 64-bit version.

If that does not work, you may want to make your own post with your progress up to that point. Your post at the end of this thread might not get as much notice as a brand new one. I hope you get up and running soon, but if not, there are plenty of folks in the forum who can give further suggestions. Good luck.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Postby robma65 on Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:27 am

Hi Pavol, if you are using the nvidia card during install try removing it and using the on board video. My nvidia card was causing problems until i installed the proper drivers after the mint install.
robma65
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot