Problems Booting/Installing Linux Mint 6 XFCE Edition

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JMD88

Problems Booting/Installing Linux Mint 6 XFCE Edition

Post by JMD88 »

I've been using Linux Mint since version 3 on an old Dell Dimension 4500S, and I've never encountered any problem like this before. When I put in the live CD, it runs normally up to the point that it reaches the loading screen. A little bit of the loading bar fills up, but then it just stops right there. When I tried disabling my Geforce 4 MX4000 and using the onboard graphics hardware built into the Intel 82845G chipset, I was able to boot from the Live CD and install Mint.

What is the cause of this issue, and what can I do to fix it? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but I really haven't been able to find a solution for it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Problems Booting/Installing Linux Mint 6 XFCE Edition

Post by viking777 »

I don't think that particular card is supported out of the box. You will need to go here:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

and download the driver for it then install it. Or you might try envyng. I have never used it, but to launch it you type:

Code: Select all

envyng -t 
Into a terminal. Then follow the prompts to install an Nvidia driver.

I always use the first method, but you have to be in a terminal with no graphical instance running.

Return to “Installation & Boot”