Live CD won't start xserver. Solved [at least for me].

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Live CD won't start xserver. Solved [at least for me].

Postby Red Knuckles on Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:22 pm

I have a Dell 4500s Intel P4 box 1.8 GHZ 256MB Ram with a Brookdale video chip [I think] or it's Intel 845 that normally uses the "i810" driver. When I try to run the Bianca 2.2 KDE mini CD It will not start x. I've tried suggestions from these links and covered all 4 pages of the Install and Boot forum:

http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... ur_Live_CD

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=367358

When I replace 'splash' and 'quiet' in boot menu with 'break=bottom' it boots till I get this error:

.bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off

then the (initramfs) line. If I type 'chroot /root nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf' it opens and the driver listed is "i810" which should work. I try that or replace with "vesa" and exit saving changes, if any. Then It boots till I get a blank screen with the X as if it is trying to start x then a blank screen with a cursor which moves but no desktop. When I try "ctrl+alt+F1' instead of terminal I get errors. The thought there would be to run 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg'. Anyone know how to fix this??? :shock: :oops:

Question? Is the problem that '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' is incorrect or is it in the error 'bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off'??? :?:

Also during boot I get this error:

Warning: Not Loading Blacklisted module ipv6
Last edited by Red Knuckles on Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Red Knuckles
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Red Knuckles on Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:03 pm

Well that wasn't it. I redownloaded and reburned iso CD for KDE mini and it did open [very slowly] and did install [very slowly until it actually got to the installer]. Am I the only person that doesn't like the trend to Live CD/Installer combo. I would much prefer and install only CD.
Red Knuckles
Level 1
Level 1

Postby telic on Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:29 am

Am I the only person that doesn't like the trend to Live CD/Installer combo. I would much prefer and install only CD.

The answer to that could depend on which PC folk you talk to.

End users, especially those not yet sold on GNU/Linux, will likely prefer a distro test-drive CD that can also install on a whim. A live CD is also a friendly tool for troubleshooting or modifications.

On the other hand, resellers and system administrators could want a quick install that doesn't require taking the test-drive scenic route.

-------
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Husse on Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:20 am

I'll have to modify the troubleshooter - in KDE you seem to en up in a busy box - have tried from a USB stick but not yet from a DVD - have to mount my DVD burner first
(in the real world)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Installation & Boot