LiveCD Boots to no icons

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

LiveCD Boots to no icons

Postby Hogswoggled on Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:56 pm

I'm a new user that's trying ot install LinuxMint onto an old laptop that I've been "gifted" with. It's a Presario M2000, with 256MB of RAM and a 40GB hard drive with a 1.4 Ghz Intel Celeron processor.

I downloaded the Mint (build Felicia) ISO this morning, checked the MD5, and burned it to a CD. When I put it into the computer and tried to boot the Live CD on it's own, first I got an error message that I needed to update my wireless firmware (it's a broadcom internal card), and then I got an all black desktop with a mouse cursor to move around and nothing else. I restarted it and tried compatibility mode, and now I have the bottom bar, with a handy little button on the left, and the date and time on the right. However, the mouse doesn't move at all so the handy button is not so handy.

Any suggestions?
Hogswoggled
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: LiveCD Boots to no icons

Postby rivenought on Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:07 pm

I am going to assume you are using the main GNOME disc. I believe one of your problems can be related to only having 256 MB of RAM and trying to run the GNOME Live CD. It is going to run extremely slow, if at all. You are going to probably have much better luck with the Xfce Live CD or the Fluxbox Live CD.

If you really want to install the GNOME or KDE versions, I have had excellent results with using the Xfce Live CD to partition the hard drive with an appropriate /swap file. Then, I was able to boot the GNOME or KDE disc with no problem. The installation was much smoother, and GNOME and KDE ran acceptably on 256 MB.

Perhaps this will help. Good luck.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Hogswoggled on Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:00 pm

I'm working on trying to install with the Xfce version now, but it gets to choosing the time zone and then will not progress any further. I may have to try another distro, I suppose.
Hogswoggled
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rivenought on Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:18 pm

You may wish to partition your hard drive using the partition editor on the live CD before you do the clean installation. That way, your system has a useful /swap partition to use. I have seen that method smooth out the installation process. The Ubiquity installer then only has to install the new operating system instead of doing that and partitioning at the same time. It might be worth trying out that method. Good luck.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Installation & Boot