LiveCD Boots to no icons

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rivenought

Re: LiveCD Boots to no icons

Post by rivenought »

I am going to assume you are using the main GNOME disc. I believe one of your problems can be related to only having 256 MB of RAM and trying to run the GNOME Live CD. It is going to run extremely slow, if at all. You are going to probably have much better luck with the Xfce Live CD or the Fluxbox Live CD.

If you really want to install the GNOME or KDE versions, I have had excellent results with using the Xfce Live CD to partition the hard drive with an appropriate /swap file. Then, I was able to boot the GNOME or KDE disc with no problem. The installation was much smoother, and GNOME and KDE ran acceptably on 256 MB.

Perhaps this will help. Good luck.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rivenought

Re: LiveCD Boots to no icons

Post by rivenought »

You may wish to partition your hard drive using the partition editor on the live CD before you do the clean installation. That way, your system has a useful /swap partition to use. I have seen that method smooth out the installation process. The Ubiquity installer then only has to install the new operating system instead of doing that and partitioning at the same time. It might be worth trying out that method. Good luck.

Return to “Installation & Boot”