Linux Mint won't install...

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Linux Mint won't install...

Postby Chris598 on Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:52 pm

This user has been banned from the forum for posting spam

Hi! First time poster here. :D
I can't seem to be able to install Mint on my pc. The live cd boots up fine (in compatibility mode) but for some reason when I double click on the install icon nothing happens :?

Here are my specs if it helps:

Q6600 2.4ghz
ATI HD 3850
2gb DDR2
160gb HDD

Not too sure about the Motherboard model, but I know it's made by intel

Thanks for the help! =D
Chris598
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Linux Mint won't install...

Postby rivenought on Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:15 pm

Welcome to the Mint forum.

Sorry to hear you are having a problem getting Mint to install, but tiny issues such as this do crop up from time to time. I am going to assume you are using the 32-bit version of Mint 6. I have had issues myself with that version, but the 64-bit version cranked right up and ran flawlessly. Go figure.

While running the Live CD, did you try right-clicking the Install icon and choosing Open? I have seen that happen before. Sometimes it might take a minute or three for the installation to get started, especially if this is your first time installing Linux.

Also, since you are planning on installing Mint, you may want to partition your drive while running the Live CD. By doing this, you can go ahead and create a /swap partition. I have found my installations go much faster this way.

Before I start with an installation, I always turn off the Updater. Otherwise, it keeps trying to update every five minutes, which slowed down my first install. After that, everything went quickly. Good luck.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Linux Mint won't install...

Postby Chris598 on Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:19 pm

rivenought wrote:Welcome to the Mint forum.

Sorry to hear you are having a problem getting Mint to install, but tiny issues such as this do crop up from time to time. I am going to assume you are using the 32-bit version of Mint 6. I have had issues myself with that version, but the 64-bit version cranked right up and ran flawlessly. Go figure.

While running the Live CD, did you try right-clicking the Install icon and choosing Open? I have seen that happen before. Sometimes it might take a minute or three for the installation to get started, especially if this is your first time installing Linux.

Also, since you are planning on installing Mint, you may want to partition your drive while running the Live CD. By doing this, you can go ahead and create a /swap partition. I have found my installations go much faster this way.

Before I start with an installation, I always turn off the Updater. Otherwise, it keeps trying to update every five minutes, which slowed down my first install. After that, everything went quickly. Good luck.

Hi :D

I've tried right clicking and choosing open as well but nothing happens either :( I also tried launching the installer via the start menu, but that also doesn't work.

Edit:

I launched the system log viewer and got this this message to appear when I clicked on the install icon:

mint ubiquity[10926] ubiquity 1.10.10
mint ubiquity[10926] log-output -t ubiquity fontconfig-voodoo --auto --force --quiet

Not sure what that all means though.

2nd Edit: Well today I tried running the live cd again and lo and behold, it worked! I still don't know what caused the problem last time, but at least it works now. :D

Oh yeah, and so far, Mint is awesome :mrgreen:
Chris598
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot