Mint 6 XFCE installed, loading problems... (solved)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Re: Mint 6 XFCE installed, loading problems...

Postby cwoolbright on Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:23 pm

Me? Give up? Paah...

Now... I followed all steps exactly, but when I do sudo chroot /tmp/mint I get:

perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
LANGUAGE = (unset),
LC_ALL = (unset),
LANG = "en_US.UTF-8"
are supported and installed on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back to standard locale ("C").
No fortunes found.
Can't locate Text/Tabs.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.10.0 /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.0 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.10 /usr/share/perl/5.10 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at /usr/games/cowsay line 9.
BEGIN failed - - compilation aborted at /usr/games/cowsay line 9.

Interesting...
Is there just a way I can undo all the partitions and completely remove it then redo with a fresh install all from the liveCD?

Thanks for helping out, I'm about to try another download of super grub (not the USB version).
cwoolbright
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby viking777 on Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:12 am

You have totally lost me now with that error. Reinstall I think.

Maybe someone else can help you out - I won't be around for a week.

Edit: Short week eh! On second thoughts, it is perfectly obvious what that error means, if you don't have perl and you don't have locales on sda5 then you don't have Mint on sda5 either. ie your install failed long before it got round to installing grub. Probably either a faulty CD or a faulty partition. Download (check md5) and burn (slowly) again then reinstall from new disk. You could use 'gparted' (install if it is not there) from your live USB to redo the partitions (needs to be run as root so 'sudo gparted'). Good luck

viking777 has left the building :lol: :lol:
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Postby cwoolbright on Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:08 pm

Alright.

I burned a new livecd (on slowest setting) ... md5sum checked out. Gparted worked like a charm.

Installation went to 38% and gave me Error 5 (something about it could be a faulty hard drive or move the computer to a cooler location and retry)
It was pretty hot at the time so I've waited and I'm about to try to install once more, but since then I have done fixmbr on Vista so I could just access vista (I had my college essay due, lol)

I hope it goes through this time, I don't see why it should be a faulty hard drive - the laptop is 2-3 months old ...

I'll keep you posted, and I hope your week break is swell!
cwoolbright
Level 1
Level 1

Postby viking777 on Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:45 pm

Good news Man!

You have just invented the first ever temperature sensing live cd! Many congratulations.

You have two courses of action open to you.

First convert your cd into source code and release it to the Open Source community or if you feel kinda let down by that group (and I wouldn't blame you) then take out a patent and flog it to Microsoft - when you have made your first billion, just remember who gave you this advice :D :D

Which is a roundabout way of saying I have no idea what you should do next :( :?:
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Postby cwoolbright on Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:33 pm

Hahahaha :lol:

Well. this topic is over..... Vista worked ok for my college stuff, then I tried to turn the laptop on after a few days... Vista faulty hard drive error. Both the C and D drives... I backed up thinking yeah whatever, but now it hangs after the splash screen ... so I tried to restore to factory default, but that did no good either. I suppose my only option is to get Acer to deal with it, it's only 3 months old and still under warranty ... sheesh, this will soon be a great hassle...
So am I the culprit for a faulty hard drive?!
Might have had something to do with that newfangled temperature sensing live cd I picked up at the flea market... :wink:

Is there a way to mark this topic closed? Thanks so much viking777 for all of your help, looks like it was doomed from the start ::cries::
cwoolbright
Level 1
Level 1

Postby viking777 on Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:57 am

Sorry to hear about that problem cwoolbright, on the other hand I am glad it is not the fault of Linux. It is interesting though that Linux was detecting that faulty drive before Windows did.

The failure certainly should be dealt with under warranty after just 3 months!

Hope you try again with Mint when you get the warranty replacement, I am sure you will find it easier next time!

Thanks for letting us know the outcome.

PS. To mark it as solved you have to go back and edit your first post and add 'solved' to the title.
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Previous

Return to Installation & Boot