Install onto HP pocket media drive

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Install onto HP pocket media drive

Postby ekravets on Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:53 pm

Hi,

I'm new to Linux and especially to Linux Mint. I had driver issues with Kubuntu and my NVIDIA graphics card, and I wanted to give Linux Mint a try because I read that it had taken special precautions on the driver compatibility front.

I'm thinking of installing it onto a removable pocket media drive from HP (uswb) but a friend of mine noted that Linux installations had run into trouble on such media. Does anyone here know about that, or should it be clear sailing?

Thanks a lot for your help. I'm really eager to make the switch to Linux.

Erik
ekravets
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Install onto HP pocket media drive

Postby viking777 on Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:59 pm

Just get the live cd and test that out.

As regards installing onto external USB drives, I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that your friend is right. I have never done it myself but reading the forums it seems to cause more problems than most other installs - just put it on your hard drive for now and get it working. Later on maybe try it on a USB drive.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Install onto HP pocket media drive

Postby ekravets on Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:21 pm

I would rather use a second and/or removable hard drive because then, if anything goes wrong, I could reformat everything without complications. But if the removable drives really are such a problem I will have to see if I can do a work-around.

Thanks for the warning, though.

I'll try it out, just to see what happens, leave a report here on how it goes. Maybe it will be of interest to somebody. :)

Erik
ekravets
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot