Changing Partition Sizes

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Changing Partition Sizes

Postby grouchpunk08 on Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:48 am

This is my third time with an installation of linux alongside my windows. Both other times grub would be lost after trying to do partition work with acronis inside vista. Now I have disk in this order - vista, linux, swap, shared partition for music and videos, and windows 7. If I use a gparted live cd to shrink vista and then expand linux to the left, will that effect grub at all?
grouchpunk08
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Changing Partition Sizes

Postby viking777 on Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:46 am

As a long time Acronis user and one of its biggest fans (even after I stopped using Windows) I can tell you that trying to shrink or enlarge Linux partitions with Aconis is almost bound to fail. Unless that is you happen to be using the Linux server version of Acronis which I doubt because it costs several hundred pounds. Despite their claims to the contrary Acronis does not work properly with Linux. It used to but now it doesn't. That change occurred when the decision was made to change to a 256 byte inode size in the ext3 file system.

I wouldn't do what you propose to do this time either. I would do it this way. Use Acronis(or windows) to shrink the Vista partition then use gparted to expand the Linux partition. Be warned though expanding partitions with gparted is extraordinarily slow. It really depends how much you have customised your Linux install, but if you haven't done much with it it is probably quicker to delete the partition completely, create a new one and reinstall!! No, seriously it is when you are used to the speed Acronis works!

Of course make sure that you have all data backed up anyway, and bear in mind that if you create any new partitions over and above the ones you have then you will have to edit /etc/fstab before you can boot properly again as the partition numbering could change.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Changing Partition Sizes

Postby grouchpunk08 on Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:55 am

Thanks. I will try shrinking the partition with acronis in vista and then expand with gparted. thanks for the advice!

Edit- Awesome. It worked. All I had to do was put gparted on my live usb and then it let me do it. it actually wasn't a terrible wait, took about 15 min to expand it by 30 gigs.
grouchpunk08
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot