Xp/Vista/Mint Tri-boot wont boot anything solved

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Xp/Vista/Mint Tri-boot wont boot anything solved

Postby La Parca on Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:51 pm

I really hope someone can help. I have a dell e310 with three harddrives which I installed xp first vista second, everything was
working fine until I installed mint(currently in mint usb live) I get grub I think at the boot menu with a bunch of options for mint booting that all return an error of device doesn't exist or partition doesn't exist(cant recall exactly but will check if needed)
and one option for vista/longhorn wich returns error of ntldr missing(not sure if exact wording...) I installed mint in its own primary ext3 partition set to mount \(I believe it means root? not sure, linux newb) and a seperate partition linux-swap for swap.Heres a simple example of my setup. Also before the end I chose to install grubloader maybe thats the prob?....
Sata-0
xp(first and primary)------vista(second primary)------mint(third primary) (system partitions in that order)
Sata-1
One partiton for music, video, pics,etc....
Ide-0
xpage-----vpage------mswap(all partitions primary aswell) (page and swap partitions in that order)

Is there anything wrong with this setup? Please tell me there's a way to fix this as re-installing xp and vista would be a
time consuming event to get them to where I have them (programs, settings in programs, etc...) Thanks in advance...

Update: I have managed to get Mint and Vista running now by editing the /grub/menu.lst (not sure if this was the correct method but it worked to a certain extent) by modifying the drive destinations (?) (hd1,2 to hd0,2 and sdb3 to sda3 for mint options and hd1,0 to hd0,0 for vista/longhorn launcher).. The problem I have now is vista loads a little slower, I'm guessing it's due to the error easybcd gives me when I try to restore the mbr in vista.. The reason I was trying to restore the mbr is because xp does not boot it just restarts when I choose it. So that's where I'm stuck at the present. Thanks for any help in advance.
La Parca
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Xp/Vista/Mint Tri-boot wont boot anything

Postby Husse on Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:39 am

Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby La Parca on Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:53 pm

Thanks Husse for the link. After reading and understanding it maybe 50% I checked my device.map and found no mapping irregularities when compared to the order in gparted, so I checked my menu.lst and found that it was mapping the windows loader entry (hd0 to hd1 and hd1 to hd0)... I deleted those entries, saved and rebooted. Got into xp and vista(no more easybcd errors) and I'm back in mint. "problem solved".... So if I understand what happened correctly this means grub assumed one of the drives was added after install or bios gave master priority to ide before sata and assumed that device.map was incorrect(which it wasnt)
and decided to alter the dev/sda to sdb for mint kernel and hd0 to hd1 for ntldr? Thanks again for the link.
La Parca
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:07 pm

Without checking your details - this has to do with which order the mobo gives the disks and which order grub gives the disks and that is not always the same
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby La Parca on Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:00 pm

Well thanks for the info and previos link, my pc boots correctly now so you can close/delete this thread I guess.
La Parca
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot