Grub doesn't load (just a 'prompt')

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nex92
Level 1
Level 1

Grub doesn't load (just a 'prompt')

Post by nex92 »

Hi there!

I recently installed Bianca on my PC. It took the place of a previous Mandriva, which was installed as dual boot together with XP. Both OS were on hda, but I had LILO on hdb and I wanted to have the same configuraiton with Mint. So at the last prompt during the install process, I manually entered hd1 (instead of hd0) for GRUB. Everything went on perfectly, then it rebooted. I pressed F11 to choose my second hard drive, but then, I'm stuck on a black page that only reads "GRUB". I cannot enter anything on the keyboard and nothing happens. I checked with explore2fs : there is a /boot with a menu.lst file in it and it looks like everything's perfect.
Has any one of you experienced such troubles?
Thanks in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nex92
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nex92 »

Yes, I did. This is what I have :

(hd0) /dev/hda
(hd1) /dev/hdb

What do you think about it?
nex92
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nex92 »

What do you exactly mean?
My LILO was on my second HD (hd1) and both XP and Mint are installed on partitions of the first HD (hda1 and hda5). This was also the case when I had Mandriva. On the second HD, there are only data. It might look weird to you, but I found it convenient to let the MBR of the master disk as is, just in case (imagine Grub doesn't work!). It worked just fine with Mandriva.
From what I understand of your post, you suggest Grub needs switching the HDs? I read some posts on this topic, but I don't think it's the problem since :
- when I boot from first HD, XP runs OK
- when I boot from the second HD, I have this GRUB black screen, sio I guess it is found.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

it looks to me that your grub in the mbr of hd1 is corrupt.
you should at least get a list of kernel/systems to boot.

the restore grub suggestion from above seems like the best idea ATM.
no harm trying anyway.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
nex92
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nex92 »

Sounds good to me, also. I'm gonna give it a try one of these evenings. The weather is very fine down here (France) and it doen't favor long nights in front of the PC :) !
Anyway, I'll keep you aware!
nex92
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nex92 »

I tried with Super Grub Disk and managed to boot Bianca. Now, I (just) have to fix all the other troubles...

Return to “Installation & Boot”