Live Disk Still Won't Boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Live Disk Still Won't Boot

Postby muppetjones on Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:50 pm

First, I'm in love with Linux Mint. I'm currently using XFCE from my lab notebook.

Second, I can't get the live disk to boot, and it's using Vesa.

Problem: I see the low res Linux Mint loading bar, but then the screen goes white, flickers, and turns into horizontal static.

System: ASUS F8sp w/ ATI Radeon HD 3650, Vista Ultimate (ugh, I know) 32bit
4 partitions: 30gb ntfs, 50 gb (currently unformatted, partitioned from Windows), 5gb (same as previous), ~140gb ntfs.

History: I had Windows Crapsta Home Premium installed, with Windows 7 and another Linux partition. I tried Mandriva KDE, OpenSUSE KDE and Gnome, and now Mint XFCE. None worked well. Unfortunately, just the other night, something happened and my entire partition table went corrupt. I cleared it from OpenSUSE live and opened up Ultimate and installed, setting up the partitions described above.

Tried solutions: I checked the xorg.conf as mentioned here http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php/Troubleshooting_your_Live_CD, but it already has vesa listed as the driver. I removed the "quiet splash --" and one of the last things that popped up before the screen went white was something about loading Gnome Manager, but since this is XFCE, I'm not really sure what's going on there.

In addition, compatibility mode takes me straight to the command line. 'exit' from the terminal does nothing either. I tried recovery mode, but that didn't seem to help either. I checked my BIOS, and ASUS only has one download available -- no upgrades, so I hope that is not the issue.

I'm about to try installing Mint Gnome, and if that doesn't work, I'm going to try Ubuntu just to see if I can figure out what is going on.

I absolutely love Mint, and I'd love to keep using it -- I really appreciate your help!!!!

p.s. I'm fairly new to Linux...I know command line basics, and I can program decently. I'd love to help contribute to the XFCE project, so in addition to any help I get, I'd love to help contribute to the solution for later versions / releases.

Thanks again!!
Stephen
-------
Algernon: Yes, but you must be serious about it. I hate people who are not serious about meals. It is so shallow of them.
The Importance of Being Earnest, Oscar Wilde
muppetjones
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Live Disk Still Won't Boot

Postby muppetjones on Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:01 pm

I tried Mint Gnome -- exact same thing. None of the existing solutions work. In fact, the xorg.conf file didn't even have a driver listed. I added one, but to no effect.

I'm not sure if I just missed it on Xfce, but I did hear the startup sound with Gnome.

Trying Xubuntu later today.

Thanks again for your help!
-------
Algernon: Yes, but you must be serious about it. I hate people who are not serious about meals. It is so shallow of them.
muppetjones
Level 1
Level 1

Postby muppetjones on Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:45 pm

Xubuntu has the same problems. I tried Mandriva KDE again; it has some issues, but it does load.
-------
muppetjones
Level 1
Level 1

Postby spider on Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:35 pm

hi muppetjones ,When you download Linux Mint 6 ... did you extract the ISO image or left it alone :?:

The First time I download it i did extract it and the cd didn't work... so i put it on a CD with the ISO image only.
also, make sure your CD-ROM is the first to boot in your Bios.
did you download MD5 to ensure your ISO file isn't corrupted :?:
http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

Linux mint info you should know... this Link will tell you the requirements for Linux Mint 6

http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=492
try that and get back and let us know.

spider :)
spider
Level 2
Level 2

Postby muppetjones on Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:17 pm

Spider, thanks for your reply and the links!

I didn't do anything to the iso -- I used InfraRecorder to burn both the GNOME and Xfce. Both of the Md5 sums match.

I also meet the requirements; my laptop is under a year old, with 3gb ram.

I'm pretty sure the problem is my graphics card having issues with X11. I also tried Vector linux, but issues with X11. I'm still looking for a possible fix, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'd love 'em.
-------
muppetjones
Level 1
Level 1

Postby spider on Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:07 pm

Hi muppetjones , If you already had other Linux edtions ... there could be a conflict too while installing Linux Mint.

at least that's what I heard.... "don't quote me on that now. Just hope someone reads this and replys on that answer!

was your video card working before you try to install Linux :?:
do you have any OS on your PC now that you can still boot up to :?:

how many hard drives are on your PC and which OS are you using them for :?:

spider
spider
Level 2
Level 2

Postby newW2 on Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:35 pm

I don't think you said you tried installing a driver, but I found this post by Brice Harrington (see last link).
You mentioned having tried with -fglrx; there is a known issue where leftover bits of fglrx can interfere with -ati and cause it to fail, with symptoms not unlike what's described in this bug report.
That post pointed to this wiki:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troubleshooti ... deonDriver

Got there from here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/267185
newW2
Level 6
Level 6

Postby muppetjones on Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:10 am

Spider,

Quick answer to your questions: here is my current setup for this computer:

30gb Windows Vista Ultimate (working...despite Vector Linux =)
50gb openSUSE GNOME (had to install about an hour ago to fix the bootloader Vector trashed)
5gb swap
150gb ntfs storage

A slightly longer explanation:

spider wrote:how many hard drives are on your PC and which OS are you using them for :?:

There is one hard drive ~250gb.

I did have a different version of Linux installed...here's a brief rundown of the past week.

~) Brief history of the computer: bought in November, came with Vista Home Premium installed, HDD partitioned into two. I installed Windows 7 Beta on the 2nd partition
1) As of last week: Vista had screwed up my computer by duplicating EVERYTHING in my 'Personal' folder. Rather than fix it, I decided to do a clean install. Repartitioned Vista HP to 30gb, setup openSUSE 11.1 KDE on a 25gb partition, 5gb swap, and had W7. KDE was pretty unstable, so I decided to switch to openSUSE GNOME.
2) I don't know what happened, but shortly after I installed oSG, my partition table completely fragmented. I rewrote the table and set up 4 partitions: 30gb VistaHP, 60gb (55 + swap) for Linux (not installed), and the rest for storage.
3) Managed to get a student copy of Vista Ultimate, clean install, no worries.
4) Installed Mint Xfce on my lab computer, loved it. Tried to install on the 60gb partition -- had errors mentioned.

5) Since then, I have also tried Mint GNOME, Xubuntu, Mandriva KDE, openSUSE KDE and GNOME, Vector; all had correct Md5 sums and all except the Xubuntu and Vector have been previously installed on other systems. The KDEs were unstable (on all systems -- not just this one), and the Mint GNOME, Mint Xfce, and Xubuntu all had the exact same reaction mentioned in the first post. Vector refused to load X11 and would not boot past the load up screen (not to mention a number of other problems it created).

spider wrote:was your video card working before you try to install Linux :?:

Yes. It works (unstable) on Mandriva and oSUSE KDE and well on oSUSE GNOME. Also works flawlessly (once the driver installed anyway) on VistaHP, Ultimate, and Windows 7...actually W7 worked even without the driver.

spider wrote:do you have any OS on your PC now that you can still boot up to :?:

Yes, I'm on Vista Ultimate right now, so it's not really pressing as I do have a working computer.

Spider, thank you for your help. It is much appreciated. Please let me know if there is any more information I can provide. Unfortunately, since it doesn't really do anything, there is not much I can get, or rather that I know how to get at.
-------
muppetjones
Level 1
Level 1

Postby muppetjones on Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:20 am

NewW2,

Thank you for your help and the research you found!

I actually found that thread earlier and stopped when I got to that point as I hadn't actually had the system installed yet; however, the problem discussed in the thread is exactly what I'm having, right down to the same graphics card. It's actually how I found it earlier.

After you posted it, I thought I'd finish reading the thread, and I'm glad I did -- thank you for pointing me back to it. While the "leftover bits" aren't my current problem, the rest of the post goes on to talk about driver issues.

I've just uploaded the new 6.12.0 -ati to jaunty, which should fix this issue. Please test and verify.

@Bryce: I can confirm it's working. "Ubuntu jaunty (development branch), 2.6.28-11-generic, 20090319" with default ATI driver and the "white screen of death" is gone. Will now try the closed prop. driver.

So I imagine, as Mint is based of Ubuntu, that this is the same problem -- just the ati driver.

The question is how do we fix it and what can I do to help? :?:

Is this something I could code / prepare for inclusion into a package for the next release of Mint? Or is this as simple as just plugging in a new driver in the package? :?:

However, I'm not entirely sure it is just as easy as using a different driver. It might be, but there seemed to be some issue in detecting the card and even assigning a driver as well.

Thanks again for the info newW2.
-------
muppetjones
Level 1
Level 1

Postby newW2 on Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:28 am

Well he is using a dev branch or build of jaunty - the kernel is new: 2.6.28-11 generic. I don't know where the driver is. However, there was also a post that talked about ....
I have the same problem with that configuration : ATI HD3650, intreprid ibex
I tried all drivers that exist (catalyst 8.10, 8.11, 8.12) and always the same problem, when GDM should appers, the screen stay black. I noticed that after usplash, the screen turn off (at the moment of showing GDM).
I switch to TTY1 console with crtl+alt+F1, login, and enter "exit", then the screen turn on and I can see the GDM screen, log in and everything is working properly (X server, compiz fusion, ..) I have tried to change the xorg.conf with a lot of option in all section, but nothing solved my problem
Have tried this? Sorry I'm getting to the too tired to think point, so I'll have to leave this. Maybe someone in a different time-zone will take this up ....
newW2
Level 6
Level 6

Postby spider on Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:18 pm

hi muppetjones, I really don't know what your planning to do with your other Linux that is installed in your OS.... however, this is up to you and I will say I'm New at Linux myself! this is why I will cation you what I'm about to suggest.

The partition that Vista is not on.... The Linux that you have already installed.....if you don't have anything that you need. Format that partition and try the CD.

NOW, THIS IS ONLY FOR INSANE PEOPLE THAT HAVE FILES THAT YOU NEED BUT, IF YOU DON'T NEED THE FILES OR THE OTHER LINUX OS THEN DO NOT DO IT!

if , you plan to do it, make sure you have a partition program to change that file system back to a NTFS for now and then you can see the drive and format it.
NOTE: FORMAT AND RE-DOING THE PARTITION WILL EARSE THE DATA ON YOUR LINUX DRIVE.

SO, IF THIS IS NOT WHAT YOU WANT... CONTACT SOMEONE ON THIS THREAD THAT KNOWS MORE. :(

http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... ur_Live_CD

IF YOU HAVE A SPARE VIDEO CARD, TRY THAT AFTER THE LINK I SENT YOU. SEE WHAT HAPPENS... IT MAYBE THAT YOUR VIDEOCARD WENT, THIS WAY YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO ALL THOSE THINGS I SUGGEST.

sorry, I couldn't be any more help... let me know what you decide or happen anyway!

spider
spider
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot