GRUB: how to manipulate statements?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Postby allan on Tue May 01, 2007 1:59 am

GaTk, How do you change "the GRUB load statement from (hd0) to (fd0)" during the installation process? I am thinking of installting multiple distros myself seem like this may be of help. Thanks...
allan
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Tue May 01, 2007 5:56 am

@allan
pls start a new thread instead of continuing an old one.
You can select location for grub when you install, when you get the message "Ready to install" A bit down it states "Grub will be installed on hd0" and hd0 is blue and in fact a link. When you click it you will be able to select where you want grub.
Remember that grub starts at 0 so hd0 is otherwise known as hd1
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby scorp123 on Tue May 01, 2007 6:59 am

Topic split ... :wink:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby allan on Tue May 01, 2007 2:02 pm

ok, thanks. Guess I didn't see the blue link for editing the grub install location. Good to know!
allan
Level 1
Level 1

Postby BrionS on Wed May 02, 2007 9:40 am

I saw the link as well, but didn't think to click on it to change Grub's location. I did go back two pages to see if I had missed a step and found that it made me re-do all my manual partitioning over again (very annoying) :x.

I would suggest that the installer be made a bit clearer as to how to change Grub's location (even a comment next to the link would suffice, "Click the link to change the install location").

Linux Mint is up an running now and I'm very happy with it :D (except for the Grub install which cause an "Error 17" for a long time until I recalled how to install grub to the right location from the live DVD -- using grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/hdc2 /dev/hdc).
BrionS
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot