Before you post please read this

Moving the Grub Loader

Postby Kinux on Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:54 pm

Setup:

C://
0,0 = Windows Vista
0,1 Windows 7

E://
1,0 = External HDD (Documents, Filed etc..)
1,1 = LinuxMint 6
1,2 = Grub Loader

I want to remove my windows 7 partition and make it the grub loader instead. I just wondered how would I do this? At the moment I have made bcdedit the default boot because I have to plug in my external hd into my laptop to run grub. Hardly portable :P. Anyway f theres a way to add Linux to the bcdedit (Vistas new boot.ini) o a way to move the grub loader to my C:// drive i'd be very thankful for the help.

Kai
Kinux
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Moving the Grub Loader

Postby altair4 on Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:36 pm

Anyway f theres a way to add Linux to the bcdedit

It's called EasyBCD. It's a graphical editor that allows BCD to boot into just about anything. The EasyBCD Homepage is here: http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 15
Level 15

Postby Kinux on Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:42 pm

Tried that. Set the partition right, but never seems to work.
Kinux
Level 1
Level 1

Postby altair4 on Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:50 pm

It wouldn't boot linux?

With the old Easy BCD you need to move the linux bootloader ( grub ) into the root partition of wherever you installed linux. With the new version ( which I have not used ) I don't think you even need to do that.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 15
Level 15

Postby altair4 on Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:35 pm

You might want to consider BootItNG: http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootit ... ration.htm
This is the boot loader I currently use. It's not free but I've updated it continuously for years now without paying any more than the original price. It has a feature called "Direct Boot" and with it you can boot into anything that's recognized by your systems BIOS. I've never used this feature so I just did a little experiment. I turned on my external hard drive and rebooted. When BootItNG started I selected "Direct Boot" and it displayed all my normal partitions as well as the External HD's partition. When I selected that it did go out and try to boot. It failed of course since I have no OS installed there but it might be worth considering. Like other 3rd party bootloaders you need to have an OS's grub installed in the same partition as the OS itself. You'll also need an 8MB partition for BootITNG to live in.
altair4
Level 15
Level 15

Return to Installation & Boot