Mint 6 won't boot from live CD

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Mint 6 won't boot from live CD

Postby ddewolfe on Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:24 am

All,

I'm trying to install Mint 6 on an IBM R31 laptop. The boot process proceeds to the point where GDM is loading - then stops forever with just the screen pointer visible against a blank background. Trying in 'recovery mode' showed that there was no driver in xorg.conf. Tried putting in VESA drivers - no luck. Tried various VGA settings in the boot string - again no luck.

The video card is the Intel 830.

The machine presently dual boots XP and PCLinuxOS 2007. I've installed (previously) on that machine Mint Bianca, Cassandra, Fedora core 7, Slackware and SUSE 8.

Any suggestions? I want to come back to Mint.

--Dave
dldewolfe@gmail.com
ddewolfe
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: **UPDATE** Mint 6 won't boot from live CD

Postby ddewolfe on Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:20 am

Here's an update:

Deleted quiet to --. Added acpi=off VGA=788

System now boots the live CD to the Gnome login screen. I login as user mint. The result is a blank screen with the arrow cursor on it. No keys work.

I'm stumped.
--Dave
ddewolfe
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint 6 won't boot from live CD

Postby viking777 on Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:52 pm

Having a quick look around I see a lot of problems with this card and the latest intel drivers.

One piece of advice I found is this:

There is a bug in the Intel video driver for the older intel 830 and 845 integrated video cards that are used on laptops like the IBM R30. Desktop effects with compiz will not work on those chips and will freeze the system. For new installations, please install using the safe graphics mode (press F4 in the startup screen) on these systems and disable desktop effects via System -> Preferences -> Appearance, clicking on "Visual effects" and choosing "None".

I am not sure this will be any help to you as the post is quite old. You would have hoped they might have improved the driver by now but maybe this advice is still relevant.

Sorry I can't be more help.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Postby ddewolfe on Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:03 am

A plea for help...

Compatibility mode results in a grey flickering screen and a locked computer.

What is especially frustrating is that I get the GNOME login screen logging in gives me only a blank screen with a movable mouse pointer on it, no matter whether I login in 'safe Gnome, Gnome terminal or Gnome'.

The issue is probably that compiz is enabled by default and I have no way of turning it off..

The MD5SUM is correct.

I think I'm ready to give up.

Any suggestions are gratefully accepted.
ddewolfe
Level 1
Level 1

** SOLVED ** Mint 6 won't boot from live CD

Postby ddewolfe on Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:09 pm

Did this:

Boot in recovery mode
select root shell prompt
sudo apt-get remove compiz
sudo apt-get remove compiz-core
exit
resume

The issue was that my graphics card cannot run compiz.

Maybe it should not be enables by default.
--Dave
ddewolfe
Level 1
Level 1

Postby landriaultp on Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:28 pm

Thanks ddewolf. I have the exact same problem with my Dell Dimension 2400. My PC dual boots with XP. I would like to boot the terminal as root but since I followed the bloody advice in the Mint installation and I did not setup a root account, I don't have a password for root and I can't drop to a root shell prompt because I don't have the password. Is there any way for me to boot that Linux Mint Felicia directly to a prompt so that I can execute those commands to remove compiz ? :|

My onboard video is Intel 82845G with an 830M chipset.
landriaultp
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot