dev/sda1 not found :\

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

dev/sda1 not found :\

Postby Snuffeloffagus on Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:42 pm

I've researched everything I possibly could about this and tried every different way I've read about but still I cannot fix it. I have one 120gb hard drive which I installed Felicia on. Everything went smoothly and I didn't get any errors at all. After the installation I rebooted and I get to the login screen. I have to add 'noapic' in the command line otherwise I get the error that says I need to retry with 'apic=debug' which does nothing or try 'noapic' which lets me get past that part. Now I keep getting an error stating that '/dev/sda1' cannot be found and it drops straight into a shell. I have a hunch that the hard drive doesn't mount, or something like that, because if I boot from the live cd I have to remount the drive each time to be able to see the files. I've also tried changing the UUID=numbers in the fstab file to /dev/sda1 which also had no effect at all. I'm honestly out of ideas and I cannot for the life in me figure this out. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

From reading all the other posts I also assume you're going to ask for my fstab and menu.lst, so here they are.

/etc/fstab/
Code: Select all
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
# /dev/sda1
UUID=3bb728b0-3421-4c19-aa6d-d38dfede584f /               ext3    relatime,errors=remount-ro 0       1
# /dev/sda5
UUID=38087fd1-9c32-4fd6-b7c6-11e6f55dd974 none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/scd0       /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0       0

Menu.lst
Code: Select all
title      Linux Mint 6, kernel 2.6.27-7-generic
root      (hd0,0)
kernel      /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-generic root=/dev/sda1 ro quiet splash
initrd      /boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-7-generic
quiet

title      Linux Mint 6, kernel 2.6.27-7-generic (recovery mode)
root      (hd0,0)
kernel      /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-generic root=/dev/sda1 ro single
initrd      /boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-7-generic

title      Linux Mint 6, kernel Last successful boot
root      (hd0,0)
kernel      /boot/last-good-boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 ro quiet splash  last-good-boot
quiet

title      Linux Mint 6, memtest86+
root      (hd0,0)
kernel      /boot/memtest86+.bin
quiet

Help. :(

Also here's a screen shot of the Partition editor if you need it.
Attachments
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (225.56 KiB) Viewed 383 times
Snuffeloffagus
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: dev/sda1 not found :\

Postby Snuffeloffagus on Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:16 pm

Never mind, I was able to fix it. I logged in as root and changed the "root=/dev/sda1/" line in menu.lst to "root=UUDI='my UUID number'" and also added apci=off in the command line. It's all working fine now and hopefully somebody with the same problem reads this and it helps them too.
Snuffeloffagus
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot