Can only boot off of Live CD

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Can only boot off of Live CD

Postby AJ2VM on Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:22 pm

SO, I downloaded the live CD on XP, and burned it to a disk, and am booting off of it right now. I installed the latest version of Linux Mint, and when I go to boot off of the hard drive, I get a GRUB error. I think its error 17 I'll go reboot after I finish posting this to be sure. I can't even get onto XP either, I get the same error. I installed Linux on its own hard drive, and I can access where I installed it from the Live CD, I just can't boot off of it for some reason. Any help is appreciated!

Edit: Okay, so now when I try to boot off of the hard drive with Linux on it it just says "Error Loading OS" and when I boot XP it says
"GRUB stage 1.5

GRUB Loading... please wait
Error 17"

Edit2: So I made a bit of progress recently, but not really. I saw in GParted that the boot partition for Linux didn't have a boot flag, so I put it on there, booted up with that hard drive, and I got to the Linux Mint boot screen, where you can choose what OS to boot. I chose the first one, but I got error 17 again, except this time it said what error 17 was. "Error 17: Unable to mount drive" I believe that's what it was.
AJ2VM
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Can only boot off of Live CD

Postby Husse on Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:45 am

Take a look at this wiki
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... annot_boot
I really hope we manage to solve this in Gloria - it's not straightforward
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby AJ2VM on Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:39 pm

Nope, doesn't work. It also says at the top that it is if you are dual booting with a SATA and an IDE, but both of the drives that I'm using are IDE. I tried using the UUID for grub, but now I get an os unable to start error instead. I just had a thought, does it have anything to do with the fact that the hard drive I put Linux on has its jumpers set to slave? Oh, and I do also have a SATA drive, but it is NTFS, and has a few games on it.

Edit: So I got Linux Mint to go back to the grub menu again, instead of the "Error Loadings OS" screen again by doing... well, I'm not really sure what I did. I did something like
Code: Select all
root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0)

in the grub menu accessed form terminal, but that is as far as I've gotten. From what I can tell Error 17 is caused by grub not recognizing the filesystem, but it is ext3. Should I try making it ext2 with a reinstall? What's the difference between the two?
AJ2VM
Level 1
Level 1

Postby merlwiz79 on Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:02 am

grub-gfxboot doesn't use UUID for groot.
It can for kopt.(IE root=UUID=PARTITION_UUID)
Grub is probably trying to boot from the SATA drive.
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby AJ2VM on Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:09 am

So how do I tell it not to try to boot off of the SATA drive. Why would it boot off of it anyway, when I tell it to boot off of "/dev/sdb1" not "/dev/sdc1"

Edit: Okay, so I pulled the power cord out of the SATA drive, and now it boots fine. So how do I make it to where I can use the SATA drive still? I tried the link that the other guy posted a while ago when I was still having troubles and that didn't fix a thing.
AJ2VM
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot