3 monitors on a nvidia 8800GT & Ati 3450: Doable?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

3 monitors on a nvidia 8800GT & Ati 3450: Doable?

Postby snowblindnz on Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:50 pm

Hi guys.

I am a web developer (boring db stuff), and run 3x 24" lcds off a 8800GT and a Ati 3450.

I used to run Ubuntu 7.04 years ago when I had dual screens, but when I got / the office gave me a 3rd one w/ a video card, I had a go at setting it up with my linux installation, but couldnt work it out after a few hours and switched back to windows XP.

How difficult / is it possible to get 3 monitors working in Linux Mint? I have a decent scripting and technical knowledge (I had 7.04 running fine with dual monitors on my 8800GT), but am not that well versed with linux.

Any thoughts / comments before I put in a spare HDD and waste a few hours giving it a go? I will spend 2 - 3 hours trying to get it up and running, hitting the forums and IRC with my laptop for help when i need it. After a few hours though, I will loose interest, give up, and try again in another year.

Thanks in advance for any helpful thoughts.
snowblindnz
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: 3 monitors on a nvidia 8800GT & Ati 3450: Doable?

Postby Husse on Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:57 am

It's possible I believe but I have not seen many questions about it
It would probably have been easier with three nvidia (or ATI)
There's no problem with dual monitors and nvidia what will cause problems is the ATI
I can't say for sure what the result will be
xinerama and xrandr can do the job I think
If you can, set aside a 10 GB for Mint and "play" with it when you have the time
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Installation & Boot