Non bootable CD

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
amadeus128

Non bootable CD

Post by amadeus128 »

I have successfully installed Linux Mint 6 on my computer (versions Gnome and KDE). I wanted to install it on my wife's computer to no avail: as soon as the first line appears on the monitor (vimlinux etc, etc), the CD stops and nothing happens. I tried the DVD with the KDE version with the same result. I am quite disapointed as I love that distribution. My wife's computer is newer than mine (Intel Duo Core processors). I have tried three different monitors to no avail. Someone could help me? You may answer in French.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Synthros

Re: Non bootable CD

Post by Synthros »

The media could be bad, or just incompatible with your wife's computer. I've run into this a few times, where I burn a CD or DVD that works on most systems, but there's just one or two systems that won't take the media. To remedy this, I've had to use a different brand of recordable CD or DVD.
amadeus128

Post by amadeus128 »

Thank you for your suggestion. I will try it and let you know.

Amadeus128
amadeus128

Post by amadeus128 »

I tried two different CD but it didn't work. However I have installed Suse 11.1 which works fine. I even tried Ubuntu with success. Maybe it has to do with the Graphic Card, an Intel G33/G31 card? I also tried the new version 7. It didn't work either on this computer but runs fine on my older computer and a Compact portable.
amadeus128

Post by amadeus128 »

I have finally found a solution: first I inserted the Ubuntu CD. After having chosen the language (French in my case), I removed the CD, inserted the LinuxMint CD and proceeded to install it. So, all our three computers are now running on LinuxMint and we love it very much. By the way, we are «young» LinuxMint enthusiasts (77 and 80 years old).
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

An ingenious solution ! :D

Welcome, and may you have many more years of the "Mint" experience!

best regards, Richard

Return to “Installation & Boot”