I have a question on how to duel boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

I have a question on how to duel boot

Postby I Shooter on Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:34 pm

I have a 250GB HD with Windows Vista on it. I partitioned the drive and now have a 70GB drive I free space. On that space I have tried to install Linux Mint. I need help. When I get to the partition part I partitioned the two GB that it asked for and then 2GB for the swap file and clicked next and got a notice that it wasn't activated. I don't understand that. There was a place that said I could use the hole drive but I don't wont to lose Vista till I have Mint working. Pleas help. Thank you for your time. As you can tell I am new to Linux.
I Shooter
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: I have a question on how to duel boot

Postby DataMan on Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:29 am

I thought there was an option in the partition dialog to allow you to install Mint on available free space. If it is available, and you haven't tried that option suggest you give it a go.

If you're up to the task (sounds like you are given that you have already created unallocated space on your hard drive), my suggestion is to pre configure the partitions that you want to use for your Mint install. After this is completed, use the "manually configure partitions" in the installation. This option takes a lot of the guess work out of the installation process (my opinion).

Good Luck,

DataMan
Linux'd since 2005 Linux ID 422356 Ubuntu ID 15015
DataMan
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Installation & Boot