Install Mint over a dual-boot XP / Ubuntu installation?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Install Mint over a dual-boot XP / Ubuntu installation?

Postby preecey on Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:43 pm

Hello, I currently have a dual boot system with Ubuntu 8.10 and XP.

I was wondering, if I burn the Mint ISO to disc and run the installer, is there any chance my XP installation will be deleted? Plus is it a simple process of erasing Ubuntu's partition and replacing it with Mint?

I have some knowledge of partitioning, but not great. I am always extremely nervous when I comes to partitioning and I don't know why. I currently use Grub for the XP / Ubuntu boot screen and would love to be able to keep my XP installation.

Yes, I consider myself a semi-n00b when it comes to Linux.

Thanks, Nathan :)
preecey
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Install Mint over a dual-boot XP / Ubuntu installation?

Postby proxima_centauri on Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:59 pm

Nathan,
When you start the installer after you choose the language/location/keyboard layout, the partitioner will load. Instead of selecting the Guided options, select the Manual option. From there, you can choose to manually install Mint, simply select the partition Ubuntu is currently on, and edit that partition so it's mount point is "/" and formatted. You can also specify your /home partition here if you have one. If you need more specifics over which partitions are which, you can run "sudo fdisk -l" in Ubuntu's terminal and post back your partition scheme.
Cheers
proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Return to Installation & Boot