LiveCD Installation Problems With Low-End PC

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

LiveCD Installation Problems With Low-End PC

Postby FiveAlive on Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:33 pm

I have an old low-spec PC that I thought would be much better to have Linux Mint on than Windows 98, however I can't for the life of me get it to work.

My problem is that the CD runs tremendously slow, I know that the user guide mentions this but I wasn't expecting it to be this bad. It takes 10 minutes just to get the install screen up, and then I haven't managed to get it onto "Step 2" yet without it crashing and needing to completely restart.

I also tried installing it inside Windows 98 but that failed also.

The spec of the PC is as follows...
Processor: 733mhz (I said it was low-end!)
Ram: 256mb

Is it possible that Linux Mint is just too powerful for my old and decrepid PC? And if so can anyone suggest for me a Linux version that it would be able to support?
FiveAlive
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: LiveCD Installation Problems With Low-End PC

Postby proxima_centauri on Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:46 pm

The Linux Mint XFCE CE or the Linux Mint Fluxbox CE are more likely to work with that kind of hardware.
I ran Linux Mint 5 on 256MB before, but with a P4 :P.

EDIT: But you may be better yet using distro's tailored for old PC's like DamnSmallLinux(DSL) or Puppy Linux
Last edited by proxima_centauri on Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Postby khsbenny on Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:48 pm

As far as I know I dont think Linux mint will run on it!

With my very basic Linux knowladge I know that there is something out there suitale but cant think what.

Try Googe it?
khsbenny
Level 2
Level 2

Postby rivenought on Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:57 pm

Welcome to the forum, FiveAlive.

I have gotten Mint to install and run on machines with a slightly slower processor than yours. I found out that the trick when having only 256 MB of RAM was to create partitions and add a /swap file in advance.

You can use a gParted CD, but I have been using a Linux Mint 5 Xfce Live CD. Xfce booted up better than the GNOME one. I used the partition editor to make my partitions, shut down the computer, rebooted with the GNOME CD, and the installation proceeded without any problems.

Yes, I could have used the Xfce desktop, but I like the GNOME one better. Those machines with 256 MB of RAM are used for Thunderbird, Firefox, and Rhythmbox. For those purposes, everything works fine. Perhaps it will work for you, as well. Good luck.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Postby FiveAlive on Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:29 am

Thanks guys for all the replies. I was kicking myself for quite a while for not just doing a simple google search which brought up pretty much the same advice above! I've settled on using Puppy Linux for now as it's doing the job fine for this particular hardware.

I'm still wanting to give Linux Mint a try, probably going to put it on my new PC in a couple of months when I upgrade. Thanks again for all the help.
FiveAlive
Level 1
Level 1

Postby shane on Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:02 am

Hi, Linux Mint Fluxbox CE should install fine on that machine. The Fluxbox Live CD has some special tweaks specifically to allow installation on low end machines. The minimum RAM requirement is 128MB... below that and there is not enough RAM to run the installer... so you should be safe.

Puppy is a great distro too. But Mint Fluxbox has the advantages... and disadvantages of Ubuntu and Mint... Use whatever works for you :D
shane
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Installation & Boot