installing over a previous version

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

installing over a previous version

Postby konifabu on Sat May 02, 2009 4:48 pm

Hi, I already have darnya installed on my computer. It's been awhile since I used it, and I noticed that when I started it up today it didn't have drivers for my 9 series videocard, so I decided to upgrade it to felicia.

I'm running on the boot disc right now, all is well, it seems to recognize my video card and automatically set me on the highest resolution for my monitor. great.

the problem is, the installer wants me to create a new partition. I'd much rather just use the one I created for darnya. Is this possible?
konifabu
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: installing over a previous version

Postby emorrp1 on Sat May 02, 2009 5:10 pm

Firstly, you should do a fresh install. Upgrading is never without problems on any operating system (one reason why you don't see M$ releasing an upgrade tool). If you do insist on upgrading, then the safest way is to upgrade one release at a time, so you should first upgrade to elyssa: http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_elyssa.php ... structions and then to felicia: http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_felicia.php Note also that gloria will soon be released, so it may be worth holding back, backing up your data, waiting for the release, then doing a fresh-install of gloria.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby Aging Technogeek on Sat May 02, 2009 6:30 pm

To install Felicia over Darnya just select Manual when the partitioning screen comes up. Click "Forward" and select "Create New Partition Table" . The partitioner will erase all existing partitions on the drive. Once this is done, you can set your partitions for Felicia as you wish.

Registered Linux User 483387
Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Postby emorrp1 on Sat May 02, 2009 6:41 pm

Ah, my bad, I saw the word upgrade and immediately assumed you're trying to upgrade in place. If all you want to do is re-use (but erase) the previously created partition, then you can select manual partitioning, as Aging Technogeek points out, but then instead of creating a new partition table, just select the partition created for daryna, click edit partition, select the filesystem type from the dropdown (probably ext3), tick the format box, and select "/" as the mount point.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby konifabu on Sat May 02, 2009 11:46 pm

For some reason, I can't get the darnya partition to show up in the partitioner, just my windows partition and the partition where I keep all my files. the partition for darnya shows up in 'my computer' though. I miss when we used gparted for this.
konifabu
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot