Universal and main on same machine

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Universal and main on same machine

Postby flounderau on Sun May 03, 2009 7:15 am

I have linux mint 6 universal installed succesfully on an IDE drive and added a new Sata Drive and attempted to add Main to this drive. I did not select adding information from the universal during installation. I have three drives on the PC. the grub install for the universal version is on the first disk but it is on a partition on the second disk. During the installation of main I changed the order of boot disks in the BIOS to make the third disk the first boot disk . This makes the the disk containg the universal version sdc and the original boot disk sdb. i selected sda as the grub install in the advanced section of the install. When I boot the system after the install the grub menu.lst is the new install with some errors which i can correct only by installing the universal version and mounting the partition from the new installation and changing to it via a cd and editing it in unuversal. If I change to the /boot/grub directory after the install of the main system the menu.lst is the one from the universal version. I don't understand how it is pointing to the universal version although it is supposedly loading the new main kernel. I am sure it is loading the new kernel as the main version is ~7 shown by a uname -r check and the universal veresion is ~11. Can anyone explain what is going on?

Ver confused!!
flounderau
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Universal and main on same machine

Postby Husse on Mon May 04, 2009 2:16 pm

There is no need to do that as the universal edition is main stripped of a lot of codecs
To my knowledge both have 2.6.27-7
And your post is too confusing for me to understand - please clarify
You are not experiencing a variation of this are you?
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... annot_boot
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Universal and main on same machine

Postby flounderau on Thu May 07, 2009 8:07 am

The machine has 3 drives 2 SATA and 1 IDE. I installed Mint on the first partition of the IDE drive, At that stage the machine had only one SATA drive on which Windows XP and Vista was installedamd the IDE drive In the Bios at that stage the SATA drive was the first boot drive and grub was installed on it. I added a second SATA drive and made it the First boot drive in the BIOS the other SATA drive the seconfd and the IDE drive the third. I partitioned the new SATA drive and installed Main in the first partition on that drive ( now sda) and told the installation script to install the grub start-up on this drive. The reason for the initial universal version being !11 rather than ~7 is that I have upgraded it. Now when I boot the kernel is loaded from the New SATA drive (now sda) but some where in the boot process it picks up the universal boot scripts and when the loading is complete I hve the Universal version loaded with the ~7 kernal rather than the ~11 version (checked via uname) but without the extras of main. This is what I do not understand. The old universal version is now on sdc If you examine the menu.lst file after loading (by cd to /boot/grub) you find the menu.lst file from the universal has been loaded. If I load the universal version by changing the BIOS boot order back to the original and then mount the new partition from the new SATA drive and view the menu.lst file it is the new main one which shows up during the boot process
with the new SATA drive as the first boot drive in the BIOS. What I cant understand is how the installation of the main version somewhere during the boot process loads the older version of the software from another drive. I hope this is easier to understand than my original post I am confused. I can send you the file lists if this helps
flounderau
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot