Partitioning Difficulties

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Partitioning Difficulties

Postby Jimjim32 on Mon May 04, 2009 4:27 pm

Hey everyone, sorry, I've been gone a long time from mint, but felt a need to come back, was previously working with a Ubuntu / XP dual boot grub setup, worked fine etc, had little to no problems with it, but decided that I strongly prefered mint to ubuntu and that I ought to return to it :). So, redownloading and burning the ISO etc, I had a live bootable CD of mint, then attempted to install.
- To me, the first reasonable step would be to try installing mint over ubuntu, but found that the installers in built partitioner was only capable of resizing the ntfs windows partition
- I assumed mint would be able to install over a blank partition instead, so loaded up GParted, and promptly deleted the ubuntu partition, giving me a load of unused space
- This is where problems seem to set in with the Installer only prepared to install over the existing ntfs (windows) partition, even set to using the largest continuous free space
- Attempting to do it manually gave me an interesting and hopefully interpretable error of "No root file system is defined. Please correct this from the partitioning menu"
- Now, I have a lot of data and things I need on my XP partition, which I'd rather not have to suddenly lose, so I tried booting back into XP, and received a warm welcome of GRUB error 15, meaning something to someone, but not to me :(
- So at the crux of it, if I can't fix this I'll lose everything on my XP partition, including some coding and DB projects I've been working on for some months now, and would be loath to start again

So, a massive pre-emptive and hopeful thanks to everyone, and anyone who can help solve this depressing and confusing dillema
- Ted
From Unix, The World!
Jimjim32
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Partitioning Difficulties

Postby Jimjim32 on Mon May 04, 2009 5:36 pm

Posting a reply to myself, how sad...
Looking up grub error 15, I seem to have found the root of the problem if you'll pardon the pun - the files GRUB used to work from were obviously installed on the ubuntu partition, which I clever thought to delete, rendering it... well, broken. So I conclude I have to repair grub or set up another boot loader, advice for which would be greatly appreciated
From Unix, The World!
Jimjim32
Level 1
Level 1

Postby emorrp1 on Mon May 04, 2009 8:33 pm

Hi, your "no root filesystem defined" error can be solved by following my instructions here (just replace mentions of daryna with ubuntu): viewtopic.php?f=46&t=25307#p147374
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby atlef on Tue May 05, 2009 1:18 am

Fix your MBR by following this guide.
You should then be able to boot Windows.

When you get to the partitioning part of the install, use the manual option, and make one /(root), swap and one /home. This should let you install.

atlef.
atlef
Level 4
Level 4

Postby DataMan on Tue May 05, 2009 5:05 am

Addition to Atlef's posting, after you have identified the correct partition for the "/" in the manual partition installation, make sure you check the "format" checkbox also. Otherwise the installer will send you back to do it.

DataMan
Linux'd since 2005 Linux ID 422356 Ubuntu ID 15015
DataMan
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Jimjim32 on Tue May 05, 2009 5:55 am

emorrp, I could kiss you, I really could, but I won't. That did the trick perfectly, and I'm practically tearing my hair out at the thought that my problem could be solved... by a single forwards slash. Ah well, I'm wiser now not to be fooled by this strange and unlikely occurrence again, and happy that I've not lost everything from here - I may be back again anyway, but hey :D
From Unix, The World!
Jimjim32
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot