Error 17

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Error 17

Postby daiver on Wed May 06, 2009 9:11 am

Hi guys.

I finally decided to start using Mint after quite a while of running it on a VM.

I´m using Windows 7 RC in one drive, Mint on another drive. I have a third drive which is unpartitioned for the moment.

Windows 7 was working and loading fine until I installed Mint (KDE). Now I get Grub error 17. I understand this error is not serious, but I can´t seem to fix it.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
daiver
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Error 17

Postby emorrp1 on Wed May 06, 2009 9:23 am

Apparently error 17 just means grub has detected a change in the filesystems it wasn't expecting. Some reports say that removing a USB flash drive solved the issue. Basically remove as many mass storage devices as you can afford to, and try again. You might also have to go through the familiar sequence of restoring your MBR (just google it) If you need an immediate solution, use windows' fixmbr on the recovery disc.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby daiver on Wed May 06, 2009 9:27 am

Yeah, but fixing the MBR with the Windows CD won´t let me use Linux again unless I reinstall, right?

I don´t have any mass storage devices other than my hard drives.

1: Windows
2: Linux
3 & 4: Storage (NTFS, RAID1)
daiver
Level 1
Level 1

Postby emorrp1 on Wed May 06, 2009 9:32 am

yes, but to be honest, I often find that reinstalling is the least time-consuming solution!!! You said before that you had a third unpartitioned drive. I assume this is the RAID setup, try removing those, perhaps grub doesn't like RAID
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby daiver on Wed May 06, 2009 9:36 am

Sorry about the confusion. The unpartitioned space is in the Windows drive.

My RAID drives are just one huge storage bin for files. No system files there.

I installed Windows 7 yesterday and Mint this morning, so these are two brand new installations. Reinstalling will get me to the exact same place I´m now I suppose.

Is there no other way to diagnose what´s going on?
daiver
Level 1
Level 1

Postby emorrp1 on Wed May 06, 2009 9:42 am

not without trying one of my suggestions, I'd try restoring the MBR, then if that doesn't work probably reinstall (it only takes about 15mins afterall)

Hm... quick thought, are you (or have you) doing what I know some people do when dualbooting windows on two separate drives, namely only having one of them in at a time. If you are, try using it in the same configuration you had when you installed mint. If you're not, try it.

Maybe someone else has some more Ideas, but I've given you a couple of suggestions to go on, and can't do anything else unless you have more info (gained by trying one of the suggestions and reporting what happened)
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby daiver on Wed May 06, 2009 9:48 am

Not sure what you mean, both drives are in the computer and plugged in...

I just checked /boot/grub/device.map and everything seems to be in the correct order :S
daiver
Level 1
Level 1

Postby emorrp1 on Wed May 06, 2009 10:07 am

emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby daiver on Wed May 06, 2009 10:12 am

Yeah, I just did that with the Windows CD and I´m back up.

Should I try another distro or something or will all distros cause something like this?
daiver
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot