won't install - get black/blank screen - SOLVED

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

won't install - get black/blank screen - SOLVED

Postby bengb on Fri May 08, 2009 4:40 pm

Hi everyone, I'm basically a Linux and most definitely a Mint newbi.... I installed ubuntu in a computer i just bought for playing around with Linux. I downloaded Mint 6.iso and burned to a disk. verified the md5 on both the .iso and the disk after burning. When i reboot in the Linux machine, it starts the bootup process and after reading the disk, all i get is a black/blank screen. when I try on the windows machine everything works. I am using a kvm to both a vista and linux machine. tried searching for a similar issue to w/no success.... can anyone help???? :(
Last edited by bengb on Tue May 26, 2009 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bengb
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: won't install - get black/blank screen

Postby chas_devlin on Fri May 08, 2009 9:28 pm

What kind of graphics card do you own? Had the same prolem with Linux Mint and Ubuntu itself with my Geforce 4 MX 440 card .. Replaced it with an Ati Rage 128 (actually, a step back) and it worked (after re-install).
chas_devlin
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bengb on Sat May 09, 2009 5:39 pm

have a Intel 82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics Controller ...also, tried to install Mint 5 w/live cd - same problem....can someone help please...... I was able to play around with mint 6 on windows machine using the live cd (same cd that won't install on ubuntu machine) and really, really like it....
bengb
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Shaddix on Sun May 10, 2009 7:00 am

well, your graphics card is marked compatible for Ubuntu 7, so it should work with mint 6 (http://hardware4linux.info/component/22542/)
a state of mint..
Shaddix
Level 2
Level 2

Postby richyrich on Sun May 10, 2009 7:22 am

Had the same problem and found it to be the KVM, once I plugged the monitor in directly during install I had no problems.

On the same note, I have two different cables on my DLink 4 Port KVM, the two that came with it, and two that I purchased later. The two skinny black ones that came with the DLink work fine, Mint detects my monitor through the KVM, and gives me 1280x1024. The two nice, big, thick, ribbon-cabled white ones . . no matter what I do, my monitor will not be detected, and a max of 800x600.

Regards, Richard

I have Vista running through the KVM too, and I can get the full monitor resolution through any of the cables.
richyrich
Level 13
Level 13

Postby bengb on Sun May 10, 2009 2:03 pm

Linux hardware compatibility was one of the criteria used when I purchased machine (I thought) [Lower end for a windows machine but should work fine with Linux] - purpose was to be able to checkout various Linux distros. Ubuntu installed fine via live cd and works with no big problem yet, but doesn't quite statisfy. Mint looked very promising when I did a quick check using live cd (without installing) on windows "Vista" machine. Tried connecting monitor directly to "Linux" machine - no luck - get blank/black screen immediately after first "bios?" screen where you get the option of going to boot menu or setup menu and the computer motherboard and chipset is identified. any ideas... anyone.....???? :(
bengb
Level 1
Level 1

Postby richyrich on Sun May 10, 2009 2:21 pm

Have you tried booting with the Mint live disk again?

On the linux pc, I mean.
richyrich
Level 13
Level 13

Postby bengb on Sun May 10, 2009 2:49 pm

yes...numerous times.... Also, in addition to directly hooking up the monitor to the linux machine, i've tried burning the .iso with three different programs "UltraISO", "CDBurnerXP" on the "Vista machine , and "Brasero Disc Burner" on the Linux "Ubuntu" machine. Have also verified the md5's on both the ISO's and the discs after burning.... am really disappointed - was really looking forward to fully trying out Mint..... Not giving up though.... but have run out of ideas.... I'm justa newbi afterall...... :wink:
bengb
Level 1
Level 1

Postby richyrich on Sun May 10, 2009 6:26 pm

Is this the Ubuntu pc that you are trying to boot to?
richyrich
Level 13
Level 13

Postby bengb on Sun May 10, 2009 7:50 pm

yes... everything came up fine on the vista machine (I wanted to see if issue was with cd) - however, i find the dual boot method to be too unwieldy for me. hence, a secondary machine (i use both machines with a kvm) for linux so I can get used to it and see if I can convert totally over to Linux. Ubuntu booted up fine via live cd.
bengb
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Blank on Mon May 11, 2009 6:30 pm

I have the same problem. LiveCD works but once installed, Linux Mint throws up a black screen. I see the arrow mouse so obviously something is booting up but it ends there. It just a mouse on the black screen for five minutes. Afterwards, I just quit. My graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce 6150.
Blank
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bengb on Sat May 16, 2009 1:36 pm

Is there anyone out there who can help???? I am really bummed and don't understand why live cd w/mint 6 won't boot. cd works on both a Vista and a XP computer but won't on my unbuntu machine. Live ubuntu cd works great. intel integrated 3100 graphics is listed as compatible. Bios starts up. then get a fast screen image that says ISOLINUX" and then a solid black/blank screen which stays until I reboot. :(

FIXED!!! - POSTING THIS IN CASE ANYONE ELSE HAS SAME ISSUE... All - Issue of black/blank screen during boot/install was fixed by resetting BIOS to "Optimal Default" and then rebooting. Don't know what happened to change it or why mint wouldn't install.... but everything is working now and am in the process of checking Mint out thoroughly. So Far - So Good!! I am a happy camper!!!!!! {:>)

P.S. Is there anything I need to do to mark this as "fixed/resolved" other than what I just entered?
bengb
Level 1
Level 1

Postby richyrich on Tue May 26, 2009 7:35 pm

good news, bengb.
yes, you can edit your first post, and add "Solved!" to the end of the 'Subject" heading.

regards, Richard
richyrich
Level 13
Level 13

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot