reboot to Grub on Linux Mint 7 Gloria

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

reboot to Grub on Linux Mint 7 Gloria

Postby sweleys on Mon May 11, 2009 3:05 am

I am using Linux Mint 7 Gloria. The problem I have ran into is that when I reboot it doesn't go back to my grub screens. It just reboots without a grub screen to whatever I last booted to. If I shutdown and power back up the grub screens come up like normal. I have a dual-boot system with a main grub menu to which I chainload into my other operating systems. I boot linux mint from the grub I have installed on its root partition.
sweleys
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: reboot to Grub on Linux Mint 7 Gloria

Postby emorrp1 on Mon May 11, 2009 3:35 am

yep, I had a similar issue, I take it you chose the partition as the destination for mint's grub? I found it messed with my MBR anyway, even though I'd moved it. A simple procedure, that I'm now extremely familiar with, will solve the problem (where hd0,0 is the "main grub" partition in grub numbers, but I'm sure you know that):
Code: Select all
sudo grub
root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0)
quit
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby sweleys on Mon May 11, 2009 6:07 am

I tried this, but it didn't seem to work.

I think my grubs are ok. When I do a complete shutdown-power-down, and re power back up my computer it takes me to my correct grub menus(first my main (mbr) grub then I can select my LInux MInt entry and it takes me to my (Linux Mint partition) grub where I can then start LInux Mint).

My problem is that when I do a simple reboot, I don't get any grub menu at all. It reboots ok. If you are in verbose mode you can see the system go through its shutdown and then it just rolls right over and starts rebooting back into Linux Mint again. It just cuts out grub and reboots whatever kernel/options you used on your intial boot. It makes for a fast reboot, but sometimes I want to reboot into another operating system without having to completely power down my computer and hit the power button to power it back up again.
sweleys
Level 1
Level 1

Postby sweleys on Tue May 26, 2009 8:52 pm

I just reinstalled Linux MInt, but this time I installed grub to the MBR rather than the root partition. Then I did your grub fix and now it works.
sweleys
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot