How can I uninstall linux mint? please

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

How can I uninstall linux mint? please

Postby q8ieng on Thu May 14, 2009 3:18 am

Hi..

Please guys I need to uninstall LinuxMint which is on a partition.

I have both linux mint and Windows Vista

I just want to keep Vista at the moment.

Can anyone help?
q8ieng
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How can I uninstall linux mint? please

Postby Ozz on Thu May 14, 2009 3:31 am

Hi,

Question: Did you install Mint to your Hard drive in a partition (better performance, etc...) or did you install it with the WUBI (Within Windows? (Edit: sorry didn't read your post through: try method 1. If you are unsure of using Mint as a primary OS, install it through WUBI, it is far easier to remove)

Method 1: Installed on Hard drive: All you need to do is boot your Mint CD, and then run it as a live CD.

Then you can use the Gparted utility (Partition Editor) to reformat your drive. MAKE SURE TO REFORMAT THE RIGHT DRIVE! Reformat it to NTFS if you want to be able to see the partition in Windows.

Then you might have some trouble with the Boot loader of Windows. To fix this go into the Windows Console at boot using the installation CD and when prompted type in "Fixboot".

Method 2 Installed with WUBI: Boot into Windows, go to preferences :arrow: remove programme :arrow: remove Linux Mint. Easy Peasy :D

I would just like to remind you in case you are using the RC of Windows 7 they they are going to discontinue it much earlier than expected. If you have the real thing, well have fun, I have seen good reviews of this edition of Windows. I haven't booted on my windows partition for nearly a year now... :D , but Vista :shock: (just joking!)

Hope that helps..
Ozz
Level 3
Level 3

Postby q8ieng on Thu May 14, 2009 8:28 am

Ozz wrote:Hi,

Question: Did you install Mint to your Hard drive in a partition (better performance, etc...) or did you install it with the WUBI (Within Windows? (Edit: sorry didn't read your post through: try method 1. If you are unsure of using Mint as a primary OS, install it through WUBI, it is far easier to remove)

Method 1: Installed on Hard drive: All you need to do is boot your Mint CD, and then run it as a live CD.

Then you can use the Gparted utility (Partition Editor) to reformat your drive. MAKE SURE TO REFORMAT THE RIGHT DRIVE! Reformat it to NTFS if you want to be able to see the partition in Windows.

Then you might have some trouble with the Boot loader of Windows. To fix this go into the Windows Console at boot using the installation CD and when prompted type in "Fixboot".

Method 2 Installed with WUBI: Boot into Windows, go to preferences :arrow: remove programme :arrow: remove Linux Mint. Easy Peasy :D

I would just like to remind you in case you are using the RC of Windows 7 they they are going to discontinue it much earlier than expected. If you have the real thing, well have fun, I have seen good reviews of this edition of Windows. I haven't booted on my windows partition for nearly a year now... :D , but Vista :shock: (just joking!)

Hope that helps..

Hi thanks mate for the respond

well, I installed LinuxMint in a partition, but I didn't got what you said about repairing the boot window?

How can I repair it? and which installation CD you're talking about?

please clear things up to me, i'm afraid i'm too noob in these such things

sorry for bothering..
q8ieng
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Ozz on Thu May 14, 2009 8:38 am

Sorry rereading my post and it did seem a bit fluffy.

Anyway, you have to reformat the partition. You can do this from the live CD or with a utility of your choice. Gparted is on the Mint CD, so you can try that for convenience sake.

Now getting rid of the partition is one thing.

Next, you should try to boot your computer, two things might happen:
1: Normal boot, you arrive on Windows = great. You should not need to do anything else.
2: Or Boot goes wrong, and the windows partition will not load up (This is often because GRUB, the Linux boot loader, overides the windows' one, and when you reformat, the computer does not know what to boot up)

The solution to this is to simply go into windows recovery mode:

Here is a link to a tutorial which goes through the motions of repairing the boot:

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/163304-dual-boot-using-free-partitioning-software.html

Whatever you do, do not despair or overwrite your Vista installation. Everything should be ok, and people on this forum will always be glad to help.
Ozz
Level 3
Level 3

Postby q8ieng on Fri May 15, 2009 5:33 pm

Thanks any way and i'm sorry if I did annoyed you..

everything went bad, and I ended up with formatting my laptop.. really made me sad

thanks anyway
q8ieng
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Preußischblau on Fri May 15, 2009 8:25 pm

I have the same problem. I deleted the Linux partition and expanded the NTFS one that I had Windows on to fill the space, and now GRUB comes up with error 22. Only problem is that my recovery DVD that I got with my computer doesn't work. Is there a way I can reinstall some bootloader so I can get into Windows? Preferably from the Mint liveCD?
Preußischblau
Level 1
Level 1

Postby q8ieng on Sat May 16, 2009 1:32 am

Preußischblau wrote:I have the same problem. I deleted the Linux partition and expanded the NTFS one that I had Windows on to fill the space, and now GRUB comes up with error 22. Only problem is that my recovery DVD that I got with my computer doesn't work. Is there a way I can reinstall some bootloader so I can get into Windows? Preferably from the Mint liveCD?

if you want your windows and don't want to format, then i advise you to re-install the linuxmint again and everything should be fine

after that, look for a solution before you proceed to un-install the linux again

good luck
q8ieng
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot