[solved]dual booting problem

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

[solved]dual booting problem

Postby jlamar92 on Tue May 19, 2009 2:41 pm

i have a little problem
i install linux mint on my hdd and then installed windows 7 and now windows has taken over and now i can't boot into linux mint. any help please cause i need to get into linux mint
Last edited by jlamar92 on Thu May 28, 2009 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jlamar92
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: dual booting problem

Postby Aging Technogeek on Tue May 19, 2009 3:46 pm

This is for installing Vista when Ubuntu is already installed but it should work for you. Just substitute Windows 7 for Vista and Mint for Ubuntu.

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_linux_linux_is_already_installed.htm?page=6

Registered Linux User 483387
Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Postby jlamar92 on Tue May 19, 2009 6:06 pm

i'll try it
jlamar92
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jlamar92 on Wed May 20, 2009 5:51 pm

i did wat the guide said but when i go to boot into windows 7 i get an error it says "Error 13: invalid or unsupported executable fromat" i kind of need to get into win 7 tomorro
jlamar92
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Aging Technogeek on Thu May 21, 2009 9:15 am

If you don't have any data you need in the Windows partition, the easiest thing to do would be to reinstall Windows ,allowing it to use the entire drive. Then reinstall Mint. Mint will install the grub bootloader which will detect the Windows installation and automatically set up your dual boot menu.

If there is critical data on the Windows partition you can try booting into the recovery section (if present) on the Windows installation disk and using the bootloader repair utility(there should be one available but I can't guarantee it -I've never installed Windows7).

Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Postby StanTheMan on Sun May 24, 2009 12:59 am

When you first installed Linux Mint , was it on the whole drive.
If you now installed Windows 7 on the whole drive , then your Linux Mint is wiped out.
Windows 7 should always be installed first on a drive. The running Windows 7 find its disk management menu which will allow you to reduce the size of its C; drive (it has a size limit). When downsizing is complete, let Windows re-boot and check its file system.
Only then you can use the Linux installer and create Linux Logical partitions in the ne empty space.
StanTheMan
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Aging Technogeek on Sun May 24, 2009 7:37 am

StantheMan,

Good catch. That is probably exactly what happened. Windows will always take the entire drive if it can.

jamar92,

Stan caught the essential fact that I missed. You installed Windows 7 after installing Mint. The only way to do this and preserve your Mint install is to provide a partition formatted to NTFS for Windows to install to. Otherwise Windows takes the entire disk.

With Windows installed on the entire disk, it becomes much easter to set up the dual boot with Mint. From Windows run Disk Manager and use it to shrink the Windows partition. You should be able to free up 1/3 to 1/2 of the disk. Before shrinking the partition, defragment Windows to compact it to a smaller area of the disk.

Now run the Mint installer and choose whichever partitioning mode you are most comfortable with.(I always recommend manual partitioning since you have complete control over how Mint is installed but this is sometimes daunting to first time installers). The simplest method is "Use largest contiguous free space". This will install Mint using the entire space you freed up with Windows Disk Manager.

At the end of the installation the Grub bootloader is installed. Grub will detect your Windows installation and automatically set up a dual boot menu. Mint will be the default OS. You will have 10 seconds to hit any key to stop the timer and choose an OS when you boot. If you do nothing during those 10 seconds, Mint will boot automatically.

Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Postby waltermoore on Sun May 24, 2009 12:39 pm

what about having mint only use part of the disk. then windows the other part. I know for Dell Latitude D600 my BIOS will give me the OS menu if there's more than one.. idk what it would do on yours.. But I dont see a problem in why the http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista ... htm?page=6 wont work. You start off with linux, then install Windows... from the looks of it you have it going to other way around.. idk could be wrong. reasion why I dont like microsoft,... that and I found a way around windows activation... did you know when you call the indian support line (windows support)... that they can't hang up on you?? they dont have the "End Call button" lol. I was talking to the guy for an hour p**ing him off. lol
Dell Latitude D600 - 2GB DDR RAM - 250GB HDD - Intel Pentium M 745 1.8 GHz - ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 AGP 4x
Linux Mint 7.0 RC1 - 250gb
waltermoore
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jlamar92 on Wed May 27, 2009 11:42 am

i was looking through the menu.lst and i found i made a little mistake i corrected it and know i get "Error 12: Invalid device requested" i was gone for a few day so i just got back. and i can't realy reinstall any operating systerms cause my parents don't like it and i get i trouble every time i put a new operation system on my hdd
jlamar92
Level 1
Level 1

Re: cannot install linuxmint with mint4win

Postby gemes_nemen on Wed May 27, 2009 11:48 pm

I want to install Linux min 7 with mint4win dual boot wint xp, cannot install, time process search in mint backup with mesage please connect to the internet, but my pc have been connect intenet...
please help me, how to install linux min7.

thanks before.
gemes_nemen
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jlamar92 on Thu May 28, 2009 7:18 pm

fixed it i had put in the wrong partition to boot to. instead of being (hd0,1) (like the guide said) it was (hd0,2)
jlamar92
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot