apt-build system installing

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
punkrtekk

apt-build system installing

Post by punkrtekk »

Hi all!
I would prefer to have all software on my laptop compiled from source codes. I know Gentoo does that, but I really like Mint and would like to keep it.
For now I install new software by synaptic and then put onto command line:

Code: Select all

apt-build install --reinstall --yes --force-yes name_of_wanted_software
...but it somehow does not work all the time :(
I have heard that

Code: Select all

apt-build install --reinstall --yes --force-yes world
this command is supposed to make the job, but most likely it crashes somewhere in the half of way.

So my question/idea is to give to installer option "Expert" or something like that, there choose something like "Install system by compiling packages from source code" -> next step is setting up the network (well, it means probably CD/DVD should in that case contain as much wireless card drivers as possible) -> setting up repositories -> checking differences between sources on CD/DVD and in internet repositories -> compiling basic system core (mon. kernel?)
---> reboot into new installed system, but still installer -> choose desktop manager, applications etc. -> install*

* I think one of the most important points is to download and install part-by-part (eg. how it is in OpenSuse), so when one source code cannot be downloaded, you do not loose the rest or so...**
** if there are some errors in installation, they should be skipped and fails written to log, which should automatically after all appear with option (maybe button) "Try to install these again..."***
*** well, also should appear information about broken dependencies, like what application may work incorrectly and so on

If this could work, potentionally patient users could have more efficient tunned and stable easy-to-use system (what I think Mint is in opposite of Gentoo...), no problems with different distros packages (well, count on most of apps in linux is open-source), but still possibility to install from DEBs. And finally it would be great afterwards to be able to set up synaptic to work with apt-build like emerge (maybe it can do even now and I do not know...) as default.

If you have read till here, please write here a comment about what you think and if I am wrong with something...
Cheers :wink:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: apt-build system installing

Post by Aging Technogeek »

I,ve never used Gentoo so I don't know the compiling procedures in that distro, but in Mint ,the first thing to do if you want to compile from source is install "build-essential" from Synaptic. If you haven't done this it may be the cause of your crashes when attempting to compile.
punkrtekk

Re: apt-build system installing

Post by punkrtekk »

Aging Technogeek wrote:I,ve never used Gentoo so I don't know the compiling procedures in that distro, but in Mint ,the first thing to do if you want to compile from source is install "build-essential" from Synaptic. If you haven't done this it may be the cause of your crashes when attempting to compile.
Hey mate sorry for confusing! It is not question, but suggestion, now I see I put it into wrong place... Actually of course I have got build-essentials, without it I could not compile nothing. From web discussions I got that command world crashes most likely because some error appears and it stops all process instead of jump to the next file... I think in installation there could be a list of "tasks" - files to compile, so I guess it should not happens...

Well, and I put this suggestion to (hopefully right place for it): Board index ‹ Development ‹ Community Projects ‹ Ideas & Thoughts
...so could administrators please delete topic here? Thanx!

Return to “Installation & Boot”