Vista, OpenSuse 11.1, & wanting Mint RC1...

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Vista, OpenSuse 11.1, & wanting Mint RC1...

Postby David2009 on Mon May 25, 2009 6:00 pm

I have a Toshiba Satellite A305 laptop. It arrived with Vista, and I have installed OpenSuse 11.1. So, I can operate both with no trouble. Since I would like to use my DVD and other multimedia. I have read that Mint includes codecs for multimedia.

So, I have created a LiveCD for Mint RC1. It looks very nice, and I would like to install it on my computer. I ran the install routine. I thought that the software would use the Linux partition, and overwrite OpenSuse. I was wrong. I had the options to ADD this OS to the other two, erase all, and install Mint, or Custom. I am not a computer professional, so I did not touch the Custom option. I exited the install routine.

Is there a way to have the Mint installation overwrite the existing Linux partition? Is there a way to remove the existing linux partition? I do not want to compromise my Vista partition and programs.

Thank you for your input.

David
David2009
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Vista, OpenSuse 11.1, & wanting Mint RC1...

Postby emorrp1 on Mon May 25, 2009 6:42 pm

yes, so the way to do it is in manual mode, which doesn't have to be scary. You probably don't have many partitions on the drive, the first one will be vista, then there'll probably be suse and swap. If there are only the 3 listed in the manual stage, then select "edit partition" on the one with a Type of "ext3". Select use as ext3, format (make sure the checkbox is checked) and mount point as "/". Then you're done, so carry on with the install as before to overwrite the opensuse install while keeping the vista (not sure why though)
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Vista, OpenSuse 11.1, & wanting Mint RC1...

Postby markcynt on Mon May 25, 2009 8:32 pm

The easiest and most foolproof way to do this IMO is to boot into Vista and delete all of your Linux partitions, do nothing else. Then boot to the Mint Live CD and when you get to the option asking where to install choose largest free space. It's always worked for me without fail.
P5N-E SLI, Core2Duo E6850 3GHZ X 2
2 GB DDR2 800MHZ
EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
2x320GB Hitachi
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
markcynt
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Installation & Boot