Mint 7 Final - CD Will Not Boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jjcobm
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 7 Final - CD Will Not Boot

Post by jjcobm »

Hello everyone,

I found the final release of mint 7 on the mirrors, downloaded it and burn it to a CD. I rebooted my laptop and when my cd-rom drive tries to "boot" into the linux mint bootloader, all that happens is I get a black screen with a tiny orange dot near the corner of my screen.

Another observation, I have an Asus X83VM which is essentially an Asus N80 series laptop. In order to get these to work with any linux distro I have had to go into the bios menu and change the "IDE" (SATA) controller settings from "ENHANCED" to "COMPATIBLE otherwise I will get read errors from any distro while reading the LiveCD's. This must be due to my certain SATA chipset from my laptop not being supported properly? Well, I decided to change my BIOS settings from my linux friendly "COMPATIBLE" back into "ENHANCED" and to my surprise the Mint 7 CD booted up fine. I got to the desktop, tried installing, as soon as the installation began, the cd-rom drive began to have "read errors" (same ones I have mentioned before regarding my SATA chipset).

Not knowing what to do, I changed the BIOS settings back to "COMPATIBLE". Then, my solution for this problem was inserting my ubuntu 9.04 cd into the drive for the boot menu to come up, selected english, then I swaped out the ubuntu cd for the mint 7 one and selected boot from livecd. Mint 7 booted up just fine from there and I was able to install it just fine also. I am guessing this is a problem with the mint 7 boot loader itself.

If you guys need to know any information about my system, let me know what output you need and how to get it.

Hope this helps someone out and that the problem gets fixed!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Mint 7 Final - CD Will Not Boot

Post by exploder »

It must be something specific to your system. I burned the final to disk last night and just tested it, it booted up to the desktop just fine. Did you check the md5 and burn at the lowest possible speed?
jjcobm
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jjcobm »

I burned it twice, once at regular speed, the second at the slowest possible, both times brasero checked the discs against the ISO and I also checked the MD5.... I know for a fact it has to do with some conflict between the mint bootloader and my notebook since I did get it to boot changing the bios setting i mentioned.
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

Axanon wrote:I'm just curious how the speed you burn Mint/Ubuntu/Anything at has to do with how well the CD/DVD works. I've always just burned any distro at max speed (the default setting) and it's always worked great.
The faster you burn a disk the greater chance there are for data errors on the media. This is not such a big deal when burning a movie or music, but it can be a huge deal when burning an operating system disk. It's always advisable to burn an OS disk at the slowest possible setting.

Return to “Installation & Boot”