The frustration of installation!

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

The frustration of installation!

Postby MintSJ on Wed May 27, 2009 2:29 pm

I have a laptop with 3 partitions, Recovery, C:\ and D:\ Vista is installed on C:\ my data is on D:\ All very normal I think. Anyway I tried and failed to install Mint 6 a couple of weeks ago and so I was really keen to try to install Mint 7.
Before attempting to install I created 3 further partitions: 10gb ext3, 13gb ext3 and 2gb linux swap. Neither version of Mint allows me to use these partitions to install to, in fact Mint 7 reports that there are no operating systems on my system, just an empty 400gb. When I failed to install Mint 6 I attempted Ubuntu, this did recognise all my partitions and allowed my to chose where to select root, home, swap. Mint does not give me this option it simply wants to wipe my drive and install mint. What am I missing here? All help appreciated. :(
MintSJ
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: The frustration of installation!

Postby Nicki on Wed May 27, 2009 4:16 pm

Use Ubuntu or Mint Live-CD and go in to partitionering and delete all (if you have Ubuntu or other Linux installed) except Windows and Recovery partition. First wipe of swap part and then delete. Leave Live session and reboot with Linux Mint 7 and just install. The installer will find the free space and put Mint there. You don't have to made 3 different partitions at first.
This is what I did and it worked very well for me. I have dual boot with Windows now.
Nicki
Level 3
Level 3

Postby markcynt on Thu May 28, 2009 6:33 am

I agree with Nicki on this. It's a "can't miss" method of installing.

You can also use the Vista partitioning tool to delete the partitions you created. Be sure to leave the space as unpartitioned and unallocated free space.
P5N-E SLI, Core2Duo E6850 3GHZ X 2
2 GB DDR2 800MHZ
EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
2x320GB Hitachi
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
markcynt
Level 6
Level 6

Postby FedoraRefugee on Thu May 28, 2009 7:06 am

It is you, the partitioner works fine. I think you are just missing the custom partitioning option. You never stated why you made a 10 AND a 13 GB partition? If you simply go through the Mint install when you reach the custom partition screen you will be able to delete both of these and simply create one ext3 or 4 partition to put Mint on. 2GB swap is perfect unless you use a laptop which in that case you will want to match your RAM so you can hibernate. Loosen up, take a deep breath and try again. Look at it this way, Ubuntu worked but Mint is simply a polished Ubuntu!
FedoraRefugee
Level 6
Level 6

Re: The frustration of installation! Solved

Postby MintSJ on Thu May 28, 2009 7:17 am

Thanks for your replies - and yes I have now managed to install Mint where I want it! What I found while using the Mint partitioner is that if I chose the /root partition 1st then the remaining space became "unusable", when I retried by allocating /root last then I was able to create partitions as desired (/home, swap). :D
All I need to do now is get it online but that's a different kettle of ball games.
MintSJ
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Nicki on Thu May 28, 2009 8:57 am

Don't care about swap and /home. Let the installer take care of that, it's the easiest way.
Just use the free space.
Nicki
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Installation & Boot