Newbie's adventures with LiveCD

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Newbie's adventures with LiveCD

Postby Iger on Thu May 28, 2009 7:41 am

Hey all!

I'm rather new to Linux and am very impressed with Mint so far.
I've tried to run Mint from LiveCD on a pretty old notebook with Sis graphics, Celeron and ~450mb ram (after the video card ate it's 64 :)).
There are 2 gripes I have with the result:

1. The resolution was set to enormous 1940x...(4:3) and thus, the desktop was stretched far beside the monitor's end. Icons would look ok, but there was no taskbar visible. This interesting effect had cost about an hour of my life :) I was positively baffled as to why don't the screenshots in the User Guide have taskbar, while my display doesn't, and what could I do to fix the situation :).
The lesson I've brought out of this encounter (and there's no sarcasm here, well almost none at all :)) is that there apparently is a reason to the fact, that in Windows you can click anywhere on the desktop to access resolution settings :) It really wasn't easy for a newbie to figure out, that the taskbar is really appearing below my screen, when I press ctrl+super_l (the taskbar menu fit neatly below the visible part :)) and that I can navigate it looking at the screenshots to access the Holy Grail (aka Display Properties). It would also help, if the system would default to the minimum (640x480/800x600?) resolution, instead of the maximum :)

2. The second question I have is related to USB. When I stick my 2GB flash stick into the notebook nothing would happen for quite some time. CD wouldn't spin up, the stick wouldn't light up - nothing... After some time, though (I was trying to find my way around with wireless drivers, so I was launching all kinds of driver-related utilities in Control Centre) it, suddently, lighetened up and got mounted. I'm not sure if it happened automatically (but then it really took it's time - about 5-10 minutes...) or it happened because it was "Searching for drivers..." and found something...

These gripes apart, I must say again, I'm really impressed with the fact, that Mint worked with my wireless card, that the keyring is so neatly integrated and all in all with the fact, that a Linux has started up and became usable on a random system with only some minor hiccups (and I must notice, Windows isn't sinless at all on this system either). My previous Linux experience was Gentoo 64-bit 4 years ago and, I must say, it didn't look quite as useable (still we've got the job done with her - it still amazes me!) :lol: .

Thank you for the refreshing experience, Guys!
Iger
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Newbie's adventures with LiveCD

Postby Husse on Sat May 30, 2009 5:17 pm

This is actually the first time I see that someone gets way too large resolution in the beginning - at least as far as I remember
The problem is always that people can't get past 800x600
The USB experience is just odd....
Normally you wait about 10 - 20 seconds at most before a connection is made
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Installation & Boot