Windows XP/Linux Dual Boot - NTLDR is missing SOLVED

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Windows XP/Linux Dual Boot - NTLDR is missing SOLVED

Postby bicky on Thu May 28, 2009 2:17 pm

I have Windows Xp on my machine, and have just added Linux Mint 7, as a dual boot. I have set it up for Windows to take priority at the boot stage.
Attached is a screen shot of G parted showing the partitioning.

My problem is the computer will NOT boot up - and shows the error message NTLDR is missing.

Any ideas on how to recover this - even if I can just only get Windows going again I can reinstall Mint, this would save me having to reinstall all my data !!!!!!!!.

I can get access to the basic Mint thr'o the live CD.

Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (62.75 KiB) Viewed 862 times

ALL HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
Last edited by bicky on Sat May 30, 2009 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
bicky
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Windows XP/Linux Dual Boot - NTLDR is missing

Postby jaspmatt on Thu May 28, 2009 5:28 pm

This was probably caused by partition adjustments on your drive. Here is a link that may give you some ideas:
http://www.tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing.htm

Also, take a look at the boot.ini file on your windows partition and make sure it is pointing at the right partition. I did have a good link explaining how to modify it but can't seem to locate it right now. Google for it if necessary.
"The Second Amendment isn't about protecting ourselves against criminals. It's about all of us protecting ourselves from all of you." ---Dr. Suzanne Gratia Hupp to Congressman Charles Schumer (D-NY)
jaspmatt
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Windows XP/Linux Dual Boot - NTLDR is missing

Postby bicky on Fri May 29, 2009 8:25 am

jaspmatt wrote:This was probably caused by partition adjustments on your drive. Here is a link that may give you some ideas:
http://www.tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing.htm

Also, take a look at the boot.ini file on your windows partition and make sure it is pointing at the right partition. I did have a good link explaining how to modify it but can't seem to locate it right now. Google for it if necessary.

:lol: Hi thanks for that - I solved the problem by reinstalling Windows to the same partition with No changes, then I reinstalled Grub Root loader. Hey Presto we are up and running. Just one weird thing --- on Mint it saved all the files, docs etc from my shared network computer ( My Wife's ) and not mine. Not a problem - just strange.
bicky
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Installation & Boot