Windows XP/Linux Dual Boot - NTLDR is missing SOLVED

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bicky
Level 4
Level 4

Windows XP/Linux Dual Boot - NTLDR is missing SOLVED

Post by bicky »

I have Windows Xp on my machine, and have just added Linux Mint 7, as a dual boot. I have set it up for Windows to take priority at the boot stage.
Attached is a screen shot of G parted showing the partitioning.

My problem is the computer will NOT boot up - and shows the error message NTLDR is missing.

Any ideas on how to recover this - even if I can just only get Windows going again I can reinstall Mint, this would save me having to reinstall all my data !!!!!!!!.

I can get access to the basic Mint thr'o the live CD.
Screenshot.png

ALL HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jaspmatt

Re: Windows XP/Linux Dual Boot - NTLDR is missing

Post by jaspmatt »

This was probably caused by partition adjustments on your drive. Here is a link that may give you some ideas:
http://www.tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing.htm

Also, take a look at the boot.ini file on your windows partition and make sure it is pointing at the right partition. I did have a good link explaining how to modify it but can't seem to locate it right now. Google for it if necessary.
bicky
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Windows XP/Linux Dual Boot - NTLDR is missing

Post by bicky »

jaspmatt wrote:This was probably caused by partition adjustments on your drive. Here is a link that may give you some ideas:
http://www.tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing.htm

Also, take a look at the boot.ini file on your windows partition and make sure it is pointing at the right partition. I did have a good link explaining how to modify it but can't seem to locate it right now. Google for it if necessary.
:lol: Hi thanks for that - I solved the problem by reinstalling Windows to the same partition with No changes, then I reinstalled Grub Root loader. Hey Presto we are up and running. Just one weird thing --- on Mint it saved all the files, docs etc from my shared network computer ( My Wife's ) and not mine. Not a problem - just strange.

Return to “Installation & Boot”