mint7 update experience?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

mint7 update experience?

Postby nobodie on Fri May 29, 2009 9:18 am

I am running Mint6 on my wife's Dell Inspiron 1420 of about a year ago vintage. I installed Mint6 for her after crashing into upgrade problems with ubuntu9.04 (and the simple fact that I have always liked Mint and wanted to ease her into using it since I think she will like it better.

Her only complaint with MINT6 so far is the updating and installing which seems to be getting addressed in Mint7. Cool, but I don't want to upgrade and have the same mess I had with 9.04. As I recall, (forgive me I've got 5 PC's here and two at work, all running different *nix varieties) there was some video problems after the upgrade.

Here is the Q: Has anyone done a Mint7 upgrade on a Dell Inspiron 1420 yet? Were there issues or not. How about other Dell lappies?.

Since this was originally Veesta and i ripped it out and stomped it in the dirt the first day (I'm in China and Dell refused to sell a non-windooz anything in China) Dell is not a lot of help to me, so I was hoping someone here had some experience. I really don't want to rile my wiffie up by having to go through the uninstall/ reinstall dance while she just wants to do her email.

Thanks for any replies
nobodie
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: mint7 update experience?

Postby Aging Technogeek on Fri May 29, 2009 11:00 am

AFAIK, the Mint 6 to Mint 7 upgrade package is not out yet. If you want to upgrade now, the only way is a fresh install.

I don't have a Dell laptop, but I could never get decent sound on my Dell desktop with the mplayer in Mint 6. Mint 7 sound works great.

Registered Linux User 483387
Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Postby DataMan on Fri May 29, 2009 11:10 am

If space permitting, why not just set up another partition and do a fresh install of Mint7? That way you can kick the tires on the H/W and still keep the "better half" happy if things go badly with Mint7.

Just a thought...

DataMan
Linux'd since 2005 Linux ID 422356 Ubuntu ID 15015
DataMan
Level 6
Level 6

Postby waltermoore on Fri May 29, 2009 11:15 am

im running dell latitude d600. works amazing other than my mouse has no right click... xorg problem i havent found the solution to yet.
Dell Latitude D600 - 2GB DDR RAM - 250GB HDD - Intel Pentium M 745 1.8 GHz - ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 AGP 4x
Linux Mint 7.0 RC1 - 250gb
waltermoore
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot