mint7 update experience?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

mint7 update experience?

Postby nobodie on Fri May 29, 2009 9:18 am

I am running Mint6 on my wife's Dell Inspiron 1420 of about a year ago vintage. I installed Mint6 for her after crashing into upgrade problems with ubuntu9.04 (and the simple fact that I have always liked Mint and wanted to ease her into using it since I think she will like it better.

Her only complaint with MINT6 so far is the updating and installing which seems to be getting addressed in Mint7. Cool, but I don't want to upgrade and have the same mess I had with 9.04. As I recall, (forgive me I've got 5 PC's here and two at work, all running different *nix varieties) there was some video problems after the upgrade.

Here is the Q: Has anyone done a Mint7 upgrade on a Dell Inspiron 1420 yet? Were there issues or not. How about other Dell lappies?.

Since this was originally Veesta and i ripped it out and stomped it in the dirt the first day (I'm in China and Dell refused to sell a non-windooz anything in China) Dell is not a lot of help to me, so I was hoping someone here had some experience. I really don't want to rile my wiffie up by having to go through the uninstall/ reinstall dance while she just wants to do her email.

Thanks for any replies
nobodie
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: mint7 update experience?

Postby Aging Technogeek on Fri May 29, 2009 11:00 am

AFAIK, the Mint 6 to Mint 7 upgrade package is not out yet. If you want to upgrade now, the only way is a fresh install.

I don't have a Dell laptop, but I could never get decent sound on my Dell desktop with the mplayer in Mint 6. Mint 7 sound works great.

Registered Linux User 483387
Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Postby DataMan on Fri May 29, 2009 11:10 am

If space permitting, why not just set up another partition and do a fresh install of Mint7? That way you can kick the tires on the H/W and still keep the "better half" happy if things go badly with Mint7.

Just a thought...

DataMan
Linux'd since 2005 Linux ID 422356 Ubuntu ID 15015
DataMan
Level 6
Level 6

Postby waltermoore on Fri May 29, 2009 11:15 am

im running dell latitude d600. works amazing other than my mouse has no right click... xorg problem i havent found the solution to yet.
Dell Latitude D600 - 2GB DDR RAM - 250GB HDD - Intel Pentium M 745 1.8 GHz - ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 AGP 4x
Linux Mint 7.0 RC1 - 250gb
waltermoore
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot